[RangeAnxiety] Research Survey

Discussion in 'General' started by DarioFER, Feb 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DarioFER

DarioFER New Member

Hi everyone :)

As a part of my PhD research, and as a part of a larger project in my home country, we are currently doing research on range anxiety, since it is one of the major obstacles for EV market penetration, especially in countries with underdeveloped charging infrastructure.

We kindly ask you to fill in the survey (Range anxiety - Forum) and assist us in this research.

The goal of our research is provide business makers with a decision support system for charging infrastructure management.

We are aware that there is a lot more variables that affect the decision to charge or not to charge in real life. However, we wanted to make it simpler and first just see how these key variables influence range anxiety.

If you have any comments or questions about the survey or the topic, contact me at [email protected].

If this was not the appropriate subforum, I would kindly ask the forum administrators to move it to the correct one for the sake of visibility.

Thank you all!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

4. bwilson4web

These are suggestions to improve the survey:
    1. Some of us own more than one EV.
    2. In my case, they are plug-in hybrids.
      1. Because they both have gas engines, I've mitigated any range anxiety but I do test EV range and +95% of my miles are EV. My answers include mitigations for the short range, 115 km, BMW i3-REx. We also have a 40 km, Prius Prime.
    3. Charger speed and costs:
    • Detour distance can increase to a faster but expensive charger (aka., fast DC)
    • Full capacity L2 chargers matched to vehicle along the route are feasible provided the price is right (aka., utility rates.)
    When I was working, it was common to take lunch where there were free L2 charging within 0.5 km, walking distance. Fill-up the driver and enough of the car to cover the morning commute was a fair trade. My attempts to get chargers installed at work failed.

I live in Huntsville, Alabama and the PlugShare.com web page can show the chargers in my area. My longest, pure EV drives were to Nashville TN.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I looked at the survey and could not get past the fist page. Given that you live in Europe, I would have thought data privacy would be important in the design. You have not mentioned very clearly how the data will be used. Second, it is ask for questions that I am not prepared to answer the age and annual income (which is not required). I have no idea if there are other intrusive questions later on and so I stopped answering them. You may want to give a range for age and a little bit more about what data is collected and how it will be used.

6. bwilson4web

Wow!

You'll be surprised that I followed up with detailed suggestions.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DarioFER

DarioFER New Member

Thank you for your opinion! I really appreciate it.
    If you want, you can pm me your email address and I will personally make sure that you are notified of the results.

9. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Interesting that you responded to @bwilson4web and not to me. If this is an academic study (and I noticed you had an American University listed), you generally need to have pre-approval on how data is collected and used. Not sure what the standards in Croatia are, but I know that American universities have strict rules on data collection. I also noticed that there were several trackers on your site. Some of us are concerned about privacy so you may want to think about it.

10. DarioFER

DarioFER New Member

Ok, I apologize for not answering.

At the beginning of the survey we stated:

"All the information you provide will be confidential. The collected data will be aggregated in a way so that an individual cannot be identified from aggregated data. The results of this research may be published in professional journals or presented at scientific conferences, but such publications will only use aggregated data. If you have questions about this research or you are interested in our analysis, fell free to contact Dario Pevec, M.Sc., at [email protected]."

So, if you have any other issues about how the data will be used, you can ask me via the provided email address, and I will definitely reply.
    As for our site, it is out-of-the-box free solution for administrating surveys, deployed as a docker on a virtual machine. If it means anything to you, we do not need or want to know anything besides the information that we collect via the survey itself.

I hope that I have at least partially responded to all your concerns.

Domenick likes this.