Range drops dramatically with winter mode on?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mruhland, Nov 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

I found that my range has dropped considerably in the past month getting around 390km on a full charge (or calculated as such if I charge to 80 or 90%), whereas prior I always had 420-445km on a full charge. I know this is a guessomoter but this seems like quite a drop. The only difference I can think if is that I out on wintermode. Since the next week or so is mild here, I turned this off two days ago and I am getting a better range of about 10-20km on a trip of 50-100km. The kw/hr is averaging a bit better also. Does anyone what kind of range reduction to expect with wintermode? I live near Ottawa so its only going to get colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The winter mode mode function will have a beneficial affect when charging as detailed here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/kona-ev-winter-mode-defined-and-condensed.7977/#post-91617
    but should not be a major contributor to range loss.
    A range loss of ~ 25% is normal in cooler conditions;)

4. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Okay so it sounds like I should expect a 300km range during winter months and should plug in every night as I have an unheated garage even if I dont drive in to work next day. The most I drjve in one day is 200km usually just over 100km. From the thread you pointed to it sounds like the heater will go on anyway for level 1&2 charging without turning on winter mode? But good to have on when driving in Canada winters?

5. I see a similar drop in efficiency as the cool weather moves in. I suspect it's mostly down to the cabin heater and the effect of temperature on the battery. I never use a Level 3 charger and the informative thread above suggests I won't need to. Overnight temperatures here seldom drop below -5C. Last winter the drop in my range was about 25%, as electriceddy suggests.

electriceddy and dave4192000 like this.
  6. I live near enough to Ottawa to be a good example for you. My summer GOM range is 450-500km. My winter range is between 380 and 350km. I use winter mode and heat and/or cool to comfortable levels. I drive 10km over the posted hwy limit. I've had my car since February 2018 and have lived through many -35° and +35° days. Oh! And I always plug in my car when I get home. I have no garage. My car just sits in the driveway.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Winter Mode is beneficial to your batteries. It is not cabin heat but battery heater that warms your batteries during charging. Your range will definitely drop substantially in winter as mentioned by others here. Winter mode will not heat your batteries to optimum temp for charging but enough to prevent damage from winter temperatures. Because you live in a cold climate, it is good to keep your car as warm as possible. Your garage, although not heated will likely keep the car a few degrees warmer than outside. As you drive in the cold winter, your Guess-O-Meter will adjust to your higher energy consumption. It will happen rather slowly since it averages previous usage. Don't trust it completely. Your cabin heater will take more energy as the temps get colder as your other accessories. You will get a handle on it's usage with time. I did. Our temperatures are getting lower and our energy consumption is now almost 30% higher than a month ago. We don't have a winter mode and I wish we did.

BC-Doc and Mruhland like this.
  9. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

I live south of Ottawa and drive slightly faster 15 over speed limit on 400 series only. But this may be where my range is a bit less. Good to know what others are getting. Just got my car at end of August so this will be my first winter. Just worried my range will be greatly reduced when it gets really cold. Will put wintermode back on.

10. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

I can also blame reduced range on my husband’s driving. Lol.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. I tried setting Winter Mode 'on' and it did not change the GoM. Even when set 'on' it only activates while driving and only in very cold ambient conditions, well under freezing. Should it activate I expect it would reduce your actual range, perhaps the GoM will indicate that as well.
    The battery heater would add another 2kW to your normal use of roughly 10-20 kW, so that's the proportion.
    The battery heater (where equipped) does activate while charging anytime under 15 deg C. I don't think Winter Mode setting affects that operation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.