PSA: recall due to battery manufacturing defects

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, May 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Texas22Step likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

BMW of North America understands that 128 examples of the Cooper SE may have been produced with insufficient sealing compound around the two halves of the battery housing.
    Interesting, so not enough window adhesive on the housing?

minihousing2.JPG

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  4. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. I checked my 2022 SE's VIN on both the MINI recall lookup page and the NHTSA page, both reported my SE's VIN as not included in the 128 affected vehicles in the US.

insightman likes this.
  6. My 2022 SE was not listed as among those affected by the defective battery seal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Thermal Event is BMW lingo for fire lol Nothing for my vin

Porsche recently had a similar issue on Taycans that are being repaired in house. My friend has done around 8

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My early 2021 SE is right in the recall window, but not showing up. Yet. These kinds of recalls seem to always get expanded. But maybe hopeful, since I've gone through three Minnesota winters and a lot of miles.

10. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Yep i was saying this to my wife. These recalls get expanded quickly. However at Porsche it was those certain cars. They can track it down to batch numbers and what tube of sealant was used

4HAVNFUN likes this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It will probably show up in very humid regions for the SE. As for the Taycan & e-tron, they used LG's E66a pouch cells (NCM 712). The Chevy Bolt & Kona EV originally used the recalled torn/folded separator of the LG E63 (NCM 622).

Where things get dicey is with parallel wiring, so I am glad the SE is wired as 96 cells in series. Most of the i3 REX fires originated with the fuel vent line chaffing (eventually tearing and leaking fuel vapor).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My battery cover recall never showed up on that website but I got a letter in the mail and it was replaced. So, I don't think that website is very accurate for new recalls.

insightman likes this.