Problem with Cabin pre-heating.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by herode10, Jan 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. herode10

herode10 Member

Here in Canada many complains about cabin pre-heating using programmed schedules or Bluelink. In my case, I noticed that below -15 degC, whatever system I use, the cabin heating won't start. Last week-end, outside temperature was at -16C. I sat in the car and started pre-heating with bluelink. I witnessed the climat control being triggerred but it only last a few seconds before shutting down. Many people experienced similar beaviour but in different Soc and outside temp conditions. Not sure if these people are reporting accurate and repeatable informations.
    Did anybody else experienced this problem?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ironically Bluelink preheating has actually worked great for me during the current Ontario cold snap. It's the first time in ages that Bluelink has been "responsive" in the least.

My free subscription runs out in a month...of course. I'm looking forward to Hyundai asking me for money for it. I could use a good laugh!

herode10 likes this.
  4. Ivan Salazar

Ivan Salazar New Member

I have only experienced this when charging with 120v no matter the outside temperature. My guess is that there is not enough power for both charging and climate control.

OzKona and Wildeyed like this.
  5. herode10

herode10 Member

I took avantage that temperature was dropping front -7C to -19C last evening. Every hour, I sat in the car and started cabin heating with Bluelink. The command was getting executed Ok until outside temperature dropped to around -16C. At this point, the heating started but stopped suddenly after a few seconds. I'm now questionning if the issue would be related to the resistive heating kicking in at lower temperature instead of the heatpump. May be the power demand with resistive heating is too high when cabin temperature is very low?...

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. Whatever the cause it's certainly not working properly. You should have it looked at. You currently believe that it has something to do with Bluelink but what if it's just a fault or malfunction unrelated to Bluelink? You don't want to find yourself driving in the cold and have the heat cut out. Could be life threatening.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. herode10

herode10 Member

Actually I don't think Bluelink is the problem. There is something in the car that stops the heating when remotely starting the climat control. So far, never had an issue while driving the car, even at -34C.
    Temperature is getting a lot milder for the next week so I won't get the chance to do more tests. Currently, my Bluelink configuration is set at 27C and rear defrost On to make sure windows are clear when get into the car. I will set it to 18C and no rear defrost in the futur to see if less power demand will make a difference.

Wildeyed likes this.
  9. I don't know where you're located but in Canada remote start/heating IS Bluelink. Do you have a different kind of remote start, like on the fob?

10. herode10

herode10 Member

You are right. Only 2022 models have remote start on the fob. I'm comparing Bluelink behaviour with the programmed pre-heating that start automatically 20 mins before leaving time. This one works correctly. Many people on Facebook posts are blaming Bluelink for this problem but I know it's not Bluelink and I want to find what is wrong with car. If we go to the dealer they are not able to reproduce the problem.

Wildeyed likes this.
  11. Man, I'd love to have a simple remote start button on my fob. I hate Bluelink. You're a lucky duck.

ENirogus likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I've experienced something similar with a 240V charger. Having plugged into a public charger during a short lunch/email break, I was given a notification that charging would be suspended if I tried to run the climate control. Otherwise it was charging at 7KW (with the car on, not sure if that matters). Fortunately I didn't need the climate control nor the charge.

I wonder what happens if scheduled preheat overlaps with scheduled charging...

herode10 likes this.
  14. I have been experiencing exactly the same thing for several months, I don't think its bluelink either. Blue link successfully "starts" the car and reports it started but the car shuts itself off after a few seconds. I think its a car software issue as it seemed to happen(maybe coincidental) after one of the many recent dealer firmware updates. I get around it by hitting the blue link command at least a couple of times, it usually takes on the second try but not always.

herode10 likes this.