Previewing the Ariya: I drove the Nissan e-4ORCE development vehicle

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Domenick, Jan 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

Late last year at the Tokyo Motor Show, Nissan debuted its Ariya concept: an all-electric crossover with all-wheel-drive.

Last week at the Consumer Electronics show, it made its North America debut. At the same time, the automaker took myself and a bunch of auto journalists out to the Las Vegas Speedway complex outside of town to experience the all-wheel-drive e-4ORCE system. That's basically the control system for the vehicle. It ties into the motor and braking system and relies on a number of sensors and driver input. It was a blast and also pretty informative.

I wrote up an article about it for InsideEVs.

Long story short, Nissan seems to understand how important this vehicle (Ariya) is for them. It was the only concept they brought to the show. The only other vehicles on its stand was a Leaf Plus, an NV-200 (which was used to serve up ice cream) and a season 6 Formula E car. All of these are, of course, electric.

The test car, basically a Nissan Leaf with a motor front and rear to make it all-wheel-drive. It put out around 300 horsepower. They didn't say how much power he eventual product would have, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in that same neighborhood.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kenneth Bokor and DJP like this.
  2. Domenick

Guess this thread could use a few photos of the actual car. This first one is from the Tokyo Motor Show.

20191024_105247.jpg

They wouldn't let us get inside the vehicle at either Tokyo or CES, but at least they left the doors open as it spun on its turntable in Vegas, so I tried to get some of the interior.
    20200107_101833.jpg 20200107_101802.jpg

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Great article Domenick, it does look very good. I'll stay tuned for more info as usually concept cars are still some time away from spewing production versions, although Nissan did state we may actually see this vehicle (for the most part). Stay tuned is the operative phrase at this point.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Domenick

I feel relatively confident predicting that Nissan will announce the production version before the end of this year and sales next summer.

Hopefully, I'm not being naively optimistic.

Kenneth Bokor likes this.