Pre-Purchase Questions: Headlights, CAN-BUS programming...

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Nato, Aug 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nato

Nato New Member

I test drove a Niro EV and an impressed, but on the fence.

Currently driving a 2013 Audi Allroad and looking for something with similar capability and features for mainly city / commute. I'm willing to give up the AWD.

1. Headlights: Anybody have experience with both the Halogen and LED headlights? I'm finished owning bad headlights. HID / Xenon lights have me spoiled. I haven't driven the Niro at night. How do the stock Halogens compare to the optional LEDs?

2. Niros with LEDs are in short supply. If I pick up some Kia LED headlamp units and retrofit them (actual OE headlamps, not LED bulb swaps), are they plug-n-play, or is reprogramming of the computer required? I see a product out there called Kia-Coder. Looks similar to Vag Com / VCDS programming I do on the Audi and VW. Anybody using this?

3. Similar question for rain sensing windshield wipers. I'm assuming I can purchase the required module and new stalk with the required switches, but I presume I'd need to program it? Can't figure out why Kia is offering this very useful feature on other Niro models, but not on the EV in the US.

4. Can anybody comment on (or point to a video demonstrating) Android Auto integration? On my test drive, I specifically tried to test this but had trouble pairing my phone so gave up. Mainly, does Android Auto get in the way of other things you want to use / see on the Niro? Specifically battery management type displays? Can you play an MP3 file from your phone (or audio from a website that's loaded on your phone) while the phone is USB connected to the car? (I can't in my Ford Flex -- I have to unplug the phone, which means I lose Google nav.)

5. It appears the Hyundai Kona has an SD card slot. Does the Niro? Can the Niro play audio files from a USB stick?

6. Lastly, what's the cost of the UVO subscription? Does UVO live-update map data? Do any of you find UVO useful for anything other than reporting to the cell phone app (assuming you use Car Play or Android Auto)?

I'm not in a pinch to make the purchase right now, but the rebates and deductions are there and the car is available. The pragmatic side of me is thinking I should wait another year and see what 2020 brings, including a car with some of the features I'd like (dimming side mirrors, auto liftgate, 360 camera) near this price point.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I can comment on 4, 5 and 6.

4. I've been using Android Auto for about 3 1/2 years - on my 2016 Volt and now on the 2019 Niro EV. When using Android Auto on the Niro it uses 100% of the center infotainment screen. You can easily get out of that screen and view your radio, EV, etc. screens using the buttons below the infotainment screen, but while using Android Auto, it monopolizes that screen most of the time. Android Auto also has the ability to utilize music apps on your phone. I use PowerAmp, which is integrated. It can also use Google Play Music and a few others. Using these apps, you can play any music on your phone while it is plugged into the USB. Additionally, you can play music from your phone when not connected via USB through bluetooth. I like Google Maps, so the navigation is pretty nice with Android Auto. However, I've also now gotten accustomed to the Niro's built in navigation, and rather like it, so I'm using Android Auto less now.

5. The Niro has a SD card slot too, but in mine, it is being utilized for the mapping data for the Nav. Incidentally, they forgot to put the SD card with the mapping data into my Niro upon delivery, so until I could get back to the dealer and they could find the original SD card for my Niro, I didn't have functioning Nav, so make sure you have that if you buy the Premium trim. While the Niro has two USB ports, only one is used for data. I haven't tried putting a USB stick in there with music files yet, because as I mentioned earlier, I can play music from my phone through bluetooth.

6. There doesn't seem to be any info on the cost of a UVO subscription, just that it comes free for the first two years. I don't think they've figured out if they're going to charge for it, and if so, how much. I don't believe it updates map data - that has to be done through a dealer. So far, the only things I've used UVO for is for reporting through the app (and locking doors), and it is able to pull POI data from the internet when using the Nav. However, if you're using Android Auto for navigation, the POI data is irrelevant.

Nato and PAC like this.
  4. Nato

Nato New Member

Robert, thanks. Follow up question for you:

Do you store your phone in the designated cubby when navigating using Android Auto? Reason I ask is because I have a cubby in a similar position on a Ford Flex. When I tuck my phone in there, it interferes enough with the GPS that Waze on AA wigs out pretty badly, and Google Maps gets its share of positioning errors, too. It was bad enough I installed an air vent mount for the phone so it would be "out in the open" when I'm navigating, and that eliminated the problem. I see numerous Niro reviews refer to the cord access from the USB port into the center console cup holder area that I wonder if Kia anticipated phones being kept there, especially since there's no use for the Qi wireless charging if plugged in.

Thanks for the tip about PowerAmp; I'll be sure to look it up. But sometimes I want to play audio files off of Google Drive or YouTube. I'm assuming PowerAmp wouldn't cover those two scenarios.

5. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I put the phone in the cubby where the wireless charging is located and it works fine - never had any issues with GPS positioning. PowerAmp is just one example of many music apps that Android Auto can use. Not so much a recommendation as an example. I have been using PowerAmp for a number of years, and it works well, but I don't think it'd work for files on Google Drive or YouTube. There might be other music apps that work with Android Auto that could work, but I don't know off-hand what they would be.