Oil Dilution

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Wynn, Oct 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wynn

Wynn New Member

Changed engine oil last weekend and today checked oil levels. Not only is it higher than expected, it wreaked of gasoline. Anticipating taking it in soon for evaluation at the dealership but wanted to know if anybody else experience this.

2018 Clarity
    16k miles

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

This has been reported as a problem in some Hondas that have direct fuel injection into each cylinder. Sorry to hear about yours. Hopefully it’s not a common problem since our Clarity engines are port injected. I had my oil analyzed and it was not fuel diluted but I had only 750 miles in HV at the one year change. Now I’m a little bit worried after reading your report.
    Was that your first oil change and about how many miles were in HV. Please let us know if the next one is also fuel diluted.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Wynn

The link below is to a previous thread reference oil dilution as a FYI.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/oil-level-high.3770/

Hope this helps and good luck.

insightman likes this.
  5. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Not sure it will make you feel any better, but several of us (including me) have seen the oil read a little high on the stick as it came from the factory. Several have also thought the oil smelled much "stronger" than you would expect it to smell (again including me), making us worry it was oil dilution. All that I know of that have checked the oil by sending it off have been happy with the results (I decided that since the results were all seeming to come back good, that I was going to quit worrying about it - mainly due to the engine design difference @KentuckyKen mentioned as compared to the CR-V or the Civic). Good luck with your case.