Non-Interstate Superchargers

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Glenn Gore, Jun 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

Driving home to Oklahoma from the northern New Mexico mountains today, I passed the Clayton, New Mexico Supercharger and noticed that 5 of the 9 slots were in use. This was amazing to me, as this Supercharger station is not located along an Interstate highway. In fact, it is the ONLY Supercharger not located along an Interstate highway across a huge part of the US.

This location is located in a region of the US that has been pretty much ignored by Tesla when locating their Superchargers. There are no other locations for well over 100 miles in any direction. There are none to the east until you reach Oklahoma City, a distance of almost 500 miles. None to the north until you reach I-70, 250 miles away, none to the south until Wagon Mound, 120 miles away, and none to the west for I don’t know how far, well farther than the range of any Tesla made today.

This area of the country, from I-25 to I-35, and from I-40 to I-70 has been completely ignored by Tesla. There simply are not any Supercharger locations in this region and none are slated to be built. However, the number of Teslas I saw using the Supercharger at Clayton is a good indicator that there is demand in the region.

I hope Tesla fills this gap with more chargers. And I am not trying to pick on Tesla either, as there are very few DC fast chargers anywhere in this region either. This whole area is a charging desert and that needs fixing quick.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tesla is in the process of opening:
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/410654

Personally, I would prefer a SuperCharger in Corinth MS that would be midway between Huntsville and Memphis. Regardless, there is a SuperCharger at Tupelo MS which is on a reasonable jog south of the direct route. Still I agree about how many areas need both SuperChargers and distribution chargers. As for CCS-1 chargers, what a mess. There are areas less bad but most areas are poorly served.

Bob Wilson

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Clayton looks like it sets between I-25 and I-40 and cuts a large amount of travel time. So that may be the reason it exists.