Nokian tires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Hutch, May 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Looking for new tires and it seems like it will have to be new wheels as well. Has anyone had any interference with a 225 size?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

On the stock tires with no spacers: no way that'll fit. There's about 1/8 inch clearance to the shock with the stock 17" setup so use that as a reference with an offset calculator.

My 215 width required a 50mm offset to just barely clear, 47mm to be comfortable.

Edit: see this post

Hutch likes this.
  4. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

That sucks

5. Carsten Haase

You should expect a similar range hit with any performance tire, regardless of the width

@MichaelC updated that data with a stock size pilot sport tire on the next page, and others have compared range loss from just offset. Basically ~5mi of the 20mi loss with 225s is from the width and ~15mi is from the rubber

MichaelC likes this.
  6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

This summer, I should collect some new data with lower rolling resistance tires in the wider profile fitment.

I am actually in the process of buying the new tires now, and am quite frustrated that the EU market has different fitments available than the US market--this adds some challenge when cross-shopping with the EU tyre labels. EU gets Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 in 225/45R17 fitments (Fuel: A / Wet: B / 70dB for 94Y rated tires), but it appears the US doesn't get any 17" sizes for that model. It looks like I should be able to get Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 in 225/45R17 (Fuel: B / Wet: A / 69dB for 91Y rated tires), which seems to be my best option for a sporty summer tire in that size that doesn't have terribly high rolling resistance. Interestingly, the 215/45R17 91Y tire has a Fuel rating of C. Makes me wonder if the 225 width tire is a "high B", just below the threshold of a C rating...

Carsten Haase and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As this paper describes, the SAE created a standardized test for rolling resistance that employs a drum pressed against the tire being evaluated. It's too bad the tire manufacturers don't reveal the results of the test (and if they don't perform this SAE rolling resistance test, what's up with that?). The number (dimensionless, as the paper explains) would be a better guide than a vague, limited set of lettered grades.

MichaelC likes this.
  9. Carsten Haase

Have you considered attempting coast down testing? Wouldn't be as accurate as what the OEMs do but I think you could extract a change in drag from different tires.

I've been wanting to get a baseline to compare any changes to but haven't had time (only got as far as finding the attached PDF).

Attached Files:

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My SE came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 225/45R17 88W (Fuel: A / Wet: B / 69 dB).

11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My SE come with basic Hankooks 195/55/16 and I believe those are most comfortable tires bc of the biggest side wall as you go to 17” or 18” is less tires caution and a ride is not comfortable you need to learn how to handle a car a bigger tires don’t make you good driver and a front drive car as SE is the most forgiving car for a beginners or we all race car drivers owning Mini Cooper,s SE ? to try put big tires on small car . W hat about range you do 80 miles ?..on big tires?My statement is a joke bc you should put the best tires on EV for efficiency and factory is doing that.

14. MichaelC

Whelp, to quote @F14Scott quoting Bishop from Caddyshack: Oh, rat farts! I jinxed myself, as I was informed earlier today that this tire is out of stock with no ETA on being re-stocked. My last-ditch effort will be contacting the dealership to see if they can source the BMW-approved Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 225/45 R17 94Y XL (Fuel: A / Wet: B / 70dB).

F14Scott likes this.
  15. MichaelC

Annex 6 of UNECE Regulation No 117 (the EU regulation driving the tyre labels) prescribes the use of a drum test to determine rolling resistance, with specifications given for four possible methods the manufacturer may choose from.

Some of tyrereviews.com's newer articles have included rolling resistance values, such as their 2022 Tyre Reviews 17 Inch Summer Tyre Test. Unfortunately, they don't specify how they got those numbers.

That's an interesting suggestion. I would have to do some digging to see if any of the OBDII apps can sniff the EV parameters specified.

insightman likes this.
  16. MichaelC

While 205/45R17 (fixed the typo for ya) will fit on my 7.5" wide RSe05s, I don't care for the stretched look. If I can't actually get my hands on some decent sporty summer tires with a reasonably low rolling resistance in 225/45 or 215/45 aspect ratio, I'll sell these wheels and get some 17"x7" wheels so I can buy one of the stock tires (which are all EU-spec, anyway)...

17. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’m still not sure why this thread is titled “Nokian tires.”

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assume the OP really wanted Nokian winter tires but was frustrated they're not available in sizes the SE can use without spacers.

I thought about suggesting a different winter tire, but the title seemed like a firm committment to Nokian (which I have on my Clarity PHEV in the winter). A firmer committment would have been demonstrated by including the correctly spelled (let me look it up on the 'net so I don't err) model name, "Hakkapeliitta." Wikipedia reveals that a hakkapeliitat was a Finnish light cavalryman in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. Hakkapeliitta is the plural form.

19. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I thought the P7 was an all season tire and the P1 is the summer version. But, I could be confused. In any case, I’ve got the P1 RFT on my SE and could not be more pleased. Wear is good, handling is terrific, minimal range hit, and only slightly firmer than OEM tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. MichaelC

I think Pirelli has 10 "'Cinturato P7" models spread across summer and all-season specs. It's extremely easy to get confused.