My second long trip in my Kona.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kona Bill, Nov 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

I taking my Kona on its second long trip (Mesa to L.A.). Trip started great with a first leg full charge at an Electrify Am. (EA)charger. Then I hit Blythe, CA. The EA charger here was in use, so off to a Charge Point near by. After an hour charge, the side I was using turn intermittent. Switched to the other side and so far so good. 6kw charging sucks. But it’s what I have, so it will do. Hope to be I. The road again soon/eventually? . More from my next step at (I hope) a 350kw charger in Indio, CA.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Second trip continued:

The leg from Blythe to Indio was uneventful. Maintained a steady 70-75 mph throughout the trip. Charged up at EA ($35-expensive juice) at a Walmart with no issues. As I continued my drive down the I-10 (Near Beaumont, CA) I see a dust cloud in front of me and cars scatter, and thank goodness I don’t hit what appears to be a bumper or a tire tread. However, debris (rock I think) kicks up and dings off the windshield. And yep, the dawn of the new day revealed a chip and crack (sh@$). First claim and repair on my Kona.

More on the return trip later.

4. Sorry to hear about the windshield crack, that really sucks. You may already know this but you're going to have to take the Kona to an EV familiar Hyundai dealer for the replacement glass. The front camera/optics requires some sort of fancy calibration with the new windshield replacement.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Not sure why it would have to be an EV familiar Hyundai dealer. Isn't FCA also available on the ICE Kona? Shouldn't have anything to do with the powertrain being ICE or electric.

6. your absolutely right.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Do you have a detuctible on glass break? Here in Florida, glass beak has no detuctible and can't increase your rate..

9. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Those fix-kits for windshield chips with the syringe and self-adhesive adapter
    and a tube of adhesive are your first line of defense -- I've used them twice
    on the Prius, and the injuries were stopped in their tracks and didn't spread
    further. The goop is either some kind of cyanoacrylate, or something else
    that cures under filtered sunlight. The key thing is that the vacuum/pressure
    cycle you do during the fix drives the glue into every possible extent of
    the flaw, locking it together.

_H*

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Safelight can do this too, and it isn't that expensive. But not every crazy k can be treated this way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

11. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Thanks for all your input and support folks. Great community we have here.
    I do have a deductible (it’s low). Have to decide if I want it fixed and look like a crack from week one or replace and look new and shiny. Lol.

12. To remove this ad click here.