My New 2024 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL - New User Questions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by solarman08, Jan 19, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I picked up my new 2024 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL on January 3, 2024 at the Santa Clara, CA Stevens Creek Hyundai (DGDG) Dealership. Other than getting a flat tire a few days later, I've been impressed with the ride and features on this new car, but I have a few questions about how this car operates:
    • 1. The Portable EVSE supplied with my Kona seems to be stuck at delivering no more than 6A of power. Why?
      Note: I charged two different EV's with it using two different 120v outlets and could only get 6A (720W) of power out of this EVSE.
      I followed instructions in the owners manual on pg 1-34. When you try to select a higher current, it always goes back to delivering only 6A.

• 2. What is the meaning of the orange light that lights up (when the car is not in drive) in the middle of the dash?
      I suspect this is the indicator for the 12v Battery Saver+ mentioned on page 1-56 in the owner's manual. When does it come on? is it an issue?

• 3. Observation: When using the mechanical key on the driver's door, turning the key Clockwise LOCKS the door, CCW UNLOCKS - this is the opposite of what the Owner's manual says on page 5-22.

• 4. Over The Air (OTA) Infotainment software updates are available only for HYUNDAI Connected Services users from Pg 5-65 in the owner's manual. Does this include BlueLink users? Are OTA updates pushed out to the car, or do users have to initiate/request/download them? The BlueLink Service Registration Summary indicates that Maps & Multimedia Over the Air Updates are Free for 36 months. What happens after that?

• 5. V2L - Vehicle to Load - Is this feature available on the 2024 Kona Electric SEL?
      The Owner's manual pg 1-46 shows a menu item "Electricity Use Settings (V2L)" that doesn't appear on this menu in my SEL, so I suspect this SEL model cannot use V2L? Please confirm.

• 6. Page 1-37 of the owner's manual refers to a [Plug/Lightning icon] button one can press after pressing the door lock or unlock button to stop AC or DC charging. Where is this button located? I don't see this icon on the Smart Key and I don't find it inside the car. I found it - it is just below the charge level LEDs on the charge port. Is my understanding that to release the charging connector from the charge port before the charging has stopped you should try: 1. press the unlock button (on the keyfob or door handle) 2. Press lock or unlock on key fob and within 15 seconds, press the button below the charging LEDs for more than 2 seconds. 3. Open the hood and pull the port unlock release cable. Is my understanding correct ?

• 7. Can a Smart Phone (or NFC Card Key) be used as a Digital Smart Key on the Kona SEL? According to pg 5-13, it looks like you need the car to have the Wireless Authentication/Charging Pad which is not available on this model.

• 8. Does the 2024 Kona SEL have the Theft-Alarm System? I don't see the WARNING SECURITY SYSTEM triangle sign anywhere on my car.
    • 9. Regenerative Braking: After reading the Manual pg 6-14 thru 6-21, my understanding is that the 2024 Kona Electric has multiple modes of Regen Braking: One Pedal Driving is operated by using the Left Paddle to control braking, vs iPedal mode which is selected by using the Left Paddle beyond Level 3 and sets the car to drive using just the accelerator. Finally, there is a "Smart Regeneration" Mode which is selected or deselected by holding the Right Paddle for over 1 second and adjusts regen braking based on recognizing vehicle to vehicle distance using the front Radar sensor. Question: Is "Smart Regeneration" the most efficient mode? (does it provide the best driving range?)

• 10. According the manual starting on pg 6-25, the Electronic Parking Brake should be set manually after the car has come to a full stop while depressing the brake pedal. The manual says that when the car is subsequently put in 'Park' using the shifter, the EPB is set automatically. Why, then, does the manual include instructions (pg 6-27) to set the EPB after shifting into Park? It also looks like the EPB is released automatically when the car is shifted in to Drive or Reverse. So, when does the driver need to set or release the EPB? It shouldn't be set while the car is moving. The manual states that one shouldn't drive with the EPB applied. Is this even possible? What are situations which require manually operating the Electronic Parking Brake?

• 11. Drive Modes: According to the owner's manual (pg 6-37) The Drive mode resets to NORMAL when the vehicle is re-started. That is not what I found. If I put the car in ECO mode and park it and shut it off, it is still
      in ECO mode when I restart it.
      Sorry for the long post. Answers/comments about any of the above are appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Adjust AC charging current settings.
    Only if it doesn't come on would it be an issue. Check Kona EV forum for 12V battery posts for details on timing and durations.
    Nope - at least not in Canada.
    That is correct operation.
    It can be used as an emergency stop if a hydraulic failure occurs, again search posts.
    I will leave the rest up to the Kona EV crew to help answer the other questions, enjoy your new Kona EV.:)

4. Thank You for your comments. I did set the AC current settings on the portable EVSE by pressing the button until it displayed "12" but it doesn't stick and reverts back to "6" immediately. There are no instructions on the EVSE itself and I followed the steps in the owners manual. Hopefully, someone else on this forum will have tried the same EVSE and have some feedback.

5. Just confirming that you’re setting the current before plugging into the EV?

6. Yes, I have tried both setting the current BEFORE plugging in and AFTER - It makes no difference. It is definitely something to do with the portable EVSE Hyundai provided with the Kona. When I tried using my Nissan Portable EVSE, the Kona charges at the maximum current available (12A). No instructions came with the Hyundai EVSE . The instructions in the Kona's Owner's Manual (pg 1-34) tell the user to plug the portable charge into a (preferably unshared) 120v (15A minimum - I tried both a 15A and a 20A circuit) and then plug the charging connector to the AC charging Port. You can, optionally reduce the current setting before hand by holding the button on the control box for more than 2 seconds until the number on the charging current indicator blinks. If I don't press the button, it charges at 6A, if I press the button and select any other current setting (8A, 10A, or 12A) it charges at 6A. It is frustrating.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Good News, I managed to correct the issue with my Hyundai portable EVSE charging at the lowest current setting (6A). I found instructions on another forum. Apparently, selecting the charging current on the portable EVSE is a bit more complicated than what is found in the owner's manual. Whichever current setting was selected prior to disconnecting the EVSE from power, will stick the next time the device is plugged in. To change the default setting from 6A to 12A, you must hold the button down for > 2 seconds until the current indicator blinks slowly, then press the button briefly to select the next current setting, so 06-->08-->10-->12. Next, while the indicator is slowly blinking 12, you hold the button down until the 12 on the display blinks rapidly, then press the button once more to set it. The current indicator should then display 12 (not blinking). Now you can plug the charging connector to the AC charging port on the car and it charges at 12A. The portable EVSE remembers the last current setting when it is plugged in again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  9. Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob New Member

thanks - I couldnt find this one anywhere else. saves a load of time charging.

10. Video details of above:

11. motowheeler

motowheeler New Member

Congratulations on your new 2024 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL! It's great that you're enjoying the car and have some insightful questions. Here are responses to your inquiries:

1. Portable EVSE Limitation: The limitation to 6A might be a safety feature or a setting in the EVSE itself. Check the user manual for the EVSE, and consider reaching out to Hyundai or the EVSE manufacturer for clarification.

2. Orange Light on Dash: Your suspicion about it being related to the 12v Battery Saver+ seems accurate. It likely indicates the system is active to preserve the 12V battery when the car is not in drive. Refer to the manual for specific triggers.

3. Key Lock/Unlock Direction: It's common for key operations to differ slightly from what's mentioned in the manual. It's good that you've noticed this, and your actual experience with the key operation takes precedence.

4. OTA Infotainment Updates: Clarify with Hyundai or the BlueLink service provider whether OTA updates include BlueLink users. Usually, updates are pushed automatically, but details might vary.

5. V2L Feature: If the menu item for V2L is missing, it's likely not available on your specific SEL model. Confirm with Hyundai or the dealership for accurate information.

6. Charging Connector Release: Your understanding is correct. The charging connector release button is typically near the charge port, as you've found. Follow the steps you listed for a safe release.

7. Digital Smart Key: Confirm with Hyundai or the dealership. If the Wireless Authentication/Charging Pad is required, and your model doesn't have it, then using a smartphone or NFC Card Key might not be possible.

8. Theft-Alarm System: The absence of the WARNING SECURITY SYSTEM triangle sign doesn't necessarily mean it lacks a theft-alarm system. Check with the dealership or Hyundai for confirmation.

9. Regenerative Braking Modes: Efficiency can vary based on driving conditions. "Smart Regeneration" adjusts based on the front radar sensor and can optimize range in certain situations.

10. Electronic Parking Brake (EPB): The EPB is set automatically when shifting into 'Park.' The manual might include instructions for cases where automatic activation doesn't occur or for specific scenarios where manual operation is necessary. Generally, EPB should release automatically when shifting into Drive or Reverse.

11. Drive Modes: If your experience contradicts the manual regarding the Drive mode resetting, it's possible that there might be a variation in the model or a software update. You can seek clarification from Hyundai or the dealership.

12. To remove this ad click here.