My first drive impressions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kona Bill, Oct 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Just drove my Kona from LA, CA to Mesa, AZ! The Kona performed great. Kept it at about 75 most of the way and stopped 3x (Indio and Blythe, CA and Buckeye, AZ) and cost about $36. Mostly using Electrify America Fast chargers. There were 2 issues that did occur:
    1) Almost ran out of charge on the Buckeye leg due to a terrible miscalculation by yours truly, and 2) (The same leg) Mr. Wiley Coyote decided to jump out in front of my red flash and took one look and dashed back from whence me came - lol. No injuries were sustained by car or canine. Though I’ll admit I was sweating profusely during both incidents.

Everything seemed to work fine (I bought a Kona Limited); sensors, lights, gauges, alerts, seating comfort, charger, all good. I even like the spacey sound the car makes at low speeds. So for the first 410 miles I’m very happy.
    If I can answer any question please ask.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Critters have caused at least one documented incident (on this forum) with Kona so far :
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/accidents-and-repairs.5043/#post-55306
    Glad you made the trip unscathed

Kona Bill likes this.
  4. They seem to work good, but unfortunately they are currently the most expensive option you can find because our Konas are reporting 77 kw charging capability. That brings you into the second tier and you pay the 150 kw rate at 0.69$ per minute.

Yeah, you'll find out that if you go just a few mph slower it will conserve a lot of energy. Drag can be a bit**

Glad you made it and enjoying it!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kona Bill likes this.
  5. Kona Bill

Kona Bill Member

Won’t make that same STUPID mistake again. I reached the charger with about 24 mi. remaining. My new steadfast rule is 80% charge at all stops. Lol

6. No worries, I did the same thing when I bought mine and drove it from San Diego to Las Vegas. My only advantage was that there were no electrify America chargers that I used. I used EVgo which are cheaper, although sometimes only 50kW.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

For my first charge I used EA, but I knew about the issue, and they still had a 50kW charger so I avoided the upcharge.

Since then I found a free 50kW Chargepoint and am getting my EVSE installed.

Esprit1st likes this.
  9. I like the spacey sound too!!

Wildeyed, electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  10. Finally someone reports a sound that they actually like! :)
    Most of the sound posts to this point have been indicative of an issue.