Motor noise between 28-40MPH

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by NGW, Jun 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NGW

NGW New Member

Hi, I'm driving a 2019 Kia Niro EV EX Premium with 102k miles. This one suffered from "the clicking noise" and has recently received a *full* gearbox and traction motor replacement from a Kia service center.

I've drive several EVs and know the variation in motor noise that occurs between models. The Niro seems slightly louder than most at low speeds, but with this one I'm still hearing what seems like a specific, excessively loud motor whine when accelerating that starts at about 28-30 MPH through 38-40 MPH on a flat, and then tapers to disappearing at higher speeds. (Tried to get a recording but difficult with a phone).

Honestly, my lay-person, intuitive reaction is that something in the "tuning" of the transmission isn't right, e.g. something isn't in alignment that's causing a noise specifically at this speed. I don't have a good enough sense of the mechanical setup to know what that would be. Does anyone who knows the physical nature of the motor and transmission on the Niro have a sense of what it might be?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Do you have an E711 or E712? I had my 710 replaced with a 711 motor and I found that it became noisy over a short period of time. I've had a 712 motor for most of the vehicle's life/mileage and haven't noticed any sounds since then.

If it is a tuning issue, I highly doubt there are many, if any Kia Technicians qualified to perform that tuning in NA. It's more likely that your motor is heading towards another replacement.