Mixed messaging from Hyundai re Kona battery recall--USA

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickey Ricardo, May 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I recently bought a 2019 Kona EV and happily drove it from Buffalo NY to my home in Atlanta. It drove like a sports car on the twisty back roads of West Virginia! When I got home I had the reduction gearbox oil changed and it was as black as I expected from reading the comments on this forum. But my real concern/question is about the battery recall since different web sites tell me different things about the need for it. When I put my VIN in the Nat'l Hwy Transportation and Safety site it shows zero open recalls. The Hyundai site for Safety Recalls and Service Campaigns (here) also shows "no open campaigns for this VIN." However the Hyundai site for Lithium Ion Battery recall (here) tells me that "Your vehicle is affected" and has me contact the dealer for update of BMS and/or battery replacement. What gives? I will contact dealer when they open tomorrow, but this is a very confusing dilemma and, if the battery is in fact under the recall, a potentially unsafe situation for consumers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Chances are it's already been replaced. Have a look at the side of the car from a few yards back. If you can see the silver-colored aluminium sides of the battery hanging down it's probably new. You could also look at the yellow tag, left-rear corner. Mine and others have "RW" at the end of the part number. Plus, note the date.

IMG_2332.jpeg

4. Roger That and thank you. I noted silver-colored battery cover below vehicle, although I cannot spot the yellow sticker. A call to dealer also confirmed battery warranty replacement, and they were good enough to send me the repair records. Interesting that they report "while test driving after replacing the battery under campaign 200 there was a noise coming from the front end. contacted tech line, was advised to replace traction motor. After being replaced there was NO noise when decelerating." Nice to see there was a proactive mechanic on this case. It's surprising that Hyundai's Campaign 200 battery recall website does not reflect this updated information.

KiwiME likes this.