Mercedes-Benz is the first to bring Level 3 automated driving to the US

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Jan 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I got to ride in a car with a version of this earlier this year. Wrote about it a bit at the bottom of this piece.
    I experienced it in heavy California freeway traffic, where it would work up to 45 mph. It seemed to work well enough, but it kind of has to with Mercedes reputation and liability on the line.
    Tesla's FSD is different in that it work's in any environment, not just the highway. But, all liability is on the driver. If you crash, you're at fault.

interestedinEV likes this.
  4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Is the drive pilot limited to 45 due to liability reasons and it is capable of working at any environment like Tesla, or is that all it is capable off. I cannot imagine 45 on an autobhan, people zip like crazy

5. I think 45 mph is the speed at which they have enough confidence in their system to work properly to accept liability. Since it's only available for use on the highway, and also at these slower speeds, it's more like "traffic jam pilot" then Drive Pilot, but I still think it's a good start.

interestedinEV likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I’ll give up my Full Self Driving when the software rips the steering wheel out of my hands!

Actually FSD is pretty nice with a few warts. I’m documenting the reproducible ones.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

40-45 mph also happens to be the speed minimum on freeways, at least in some states (like mine). I wonder if "lowest acceptable speed" was their design target. Not that I'd feel comfortable going that slow in free-flowing traffic, so I agree with @Domenick's assessment.

interestedinEV and Domenick like this.
  9. Tomypop

Tomypop New Member

Luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz has announced that it received the first Level 3 Autonomy approval for its "DRIVE PILOT" system, a first in the industry in the US.The German car company also said that Nevada (a US state) is the first state to confirm the compliance of the system with state regulations.

10. So if a FSD Tesla meets up with a Drive Pilot Mercedes driving on the highway and both drivers are asleep at the wheel, will it overtake the slower EV?:rolleyes:
    Just curious.