Lower position for Trunk Floor?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by NRH, Dec 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NRH

NRH Active Member

Hey folks, I'm a new owner, and love the car, but am looking to improve cargo space. I've seen some great ideas reading through here, so thanks for the help.

I thought I'd point out something I discovered today, that perhaps has come up in the past, in case others had missed it. If you remove the flat foam tray, there is a second track on the sides of that under-trunk compartment to install the trunk floor in a 3-inches-lower position. Effectively making the trunk 3" taller. That's about a 15% improvement! Seemed like a much better use of space than the useless foam tray. IMG_5825.JPG

Next step - designing a weatherproof frunk compartment!

- Nate

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NRH

NRH Active Member

What have other folks done to make more of the rear cargo space, and carry less styrofoam filler?

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

All the styrofoam is sitting in a corner of the basement, including the
    useless fix-a-flat goop kit, replaced by the donut and the styrofoam
    tool-holder insert that comes with it. It doesn't sit flat, but still low
    enough that the floorboard goes in [the upper position] normally.
    I cut the extra rug/mat up into a pair of pads lining the bottom of the
    well and the upper body surface. My charging/adapter widgets can
    easily fit in around the wheel.

237cutrug_s.jpg
    241donutin_s.jpg

These will eventually be part of a page on the "donut saga" in general...

_H*

Tim94549, ehatch and apu like this.
  5. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Nice. Very sensible. Has the extra weight cut down on your range at all?

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

How much extra weight could there be. That's what all the Car companies tell everyone so they don't have to provide you with a spare. Its like those flat free tires great if you get a flat but $600 to replace them.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I just weighed my spare wheel, jack and tools =34 lbs. I going to guess the fix a flat goop and compressor to be around 4 lbs, so you would be carrying an extra 30 pounds, which I can't imagine having any appreciable effect on range.

Nonetheless the included fix a flat system is a poor compromise as the kits won’t work for every flat tire. If you have a gash in your sidewall, or sustained any serious damage beyond a simple puncture a can of fix a flat is not going to help you at all. Goop is known to cause damage to TPMS sensors. Also consideration should be to the fact that the tire goop won't flow with temperatures below freezing. The other big problem is cost, not uncommonly tire shops will consider a gooped tire as unfixable, so no matter how minor the leak once you have gooped it expect to pay a couple hundred for a new tire, new TPMS sensor (~$100 for Hyundai part) and $50 for new can of sealant.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

HOBBIT so what spare did you use to clear the front and rear hubs Etc. What type of jack did you use Scissor OR.. I was thinking of working on this fix soon.

APU well said about the sealant all true Some countries make spares mandatory I learned that from when I had a leaf.

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I won't even show you guys my storage below the cargo floor because @hobbit 's organization makes me look like a real hoarder!
    @NRH ,hope you're enjoying your kona ev. I wanted the lower storage so didn't drop the cargo floor.I think I still can lower it if I had something taller to carry,even with all the junk I store below the cargo floor. I did remove the [useless] foam,and dump it into the garage.

Dakota Cole and electriceddy like this.
  11. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Thanks for this tip! I happened to find it today and am glad for the extra trunk space.

I plan to get a spare and want to mount it over the motor in the front as someone else on this forum did. A few extra lbs in the front may help prevent some tire spins in sport mode (I know it’s only about 30 lb).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The two-level floor was one of the very few features my dealer was able to demonstrate on delivery to justify the considerable profit they made off the sale.

nigels and ehatch like this.