Looking at used model 3 and have ?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tpdtopcop, Jul 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tpdtopcop

tpdtopcop New Member

Hello all,

Will be my first Tesla and I have decided to get a used model 3. I am on a fixed income and can not afford new and the tax credit does not help me. So on yo my questions.

Have asked questions on several FB forums and the consensus was go with 2021 and newer because of dual pane glass and heat pump.

I have again read.several forums where owners have stated the 2019/2020 where better built and better rode with less squeaks and rattle's. I live in northwest Ohio so the heat pump would be beneficial. Can anyone shed some light so I can make my decision.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

OWCH!

Teslas, even used, are in short supply and thus high priced. But there have been some trade-ins such as the blue one I saw at the Huntsville AL, Century BMW dealer ... along with a Chevy Bolt. They exist but tend to disappear quickly. But I did buy a second EV (PHEV?) three weeks ago.

The BMW i3-REx (Range Extender) is an orphan, abandoned by BMW whose current EVs can't even tie the shoelaces of the i3-REx:
    • $15-18,000 asking prices for +50,000 mi vehicles, 2017-2018
      • Buyer's market, bargain hard
    • Coding makes it ~100 mi gas and ~110 mi EV
    • The REx bypasses the abysmal CCS-1 fast DC charging network(s)
      • Recently completed 835 mi trip on mid-grade gas: ~36 MPG @70 mph
    • Seats four with easy access, no "B" pillar
    • Go for I02 body trim as the I01 lacks dynamic cruise control
      • Use VIN lookup tools to check body trim
    Bob Wilson

ps. Check @Domenick postings about the used Model 3 he bought a couple of months ago.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hadn't heard there were certain model years when Tesla achieved a higher-level of build-quality. The company doesn't have much incentive to improve build-quality because it's expensive to do and their sales don't suffer without it.

If you plan to drive long distances in the winter, you want the heat pump--just turn up the radio to drown out the squeaks and rattles. If you don't plan to drive long distances in the winter, you'll save money buying an older M3 (and maybe get a better-built car).

5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

If your local library has a subscription to Consumer Reports online. They list the issues that each year has.

Surprisingly, the 2022 model got a better then average rating and didn't seem plagued with the leaks, hardware issues and rattles the early years have. Perhaps it's too early for these things to show up.

6. jgt1942

jgt1942 New Member

This past Friday I picked up my used 2020 Model 3. I purchased through Tesla, this by itself was a learning curve and I have mixed feelings about relying on the Tesla App for the purchase. Very often it was difficult to get answers to my questions. The M3 had just over 38K miles on it and I was told that Tesla had installed new tires and rims. I went big time and got the Full Self Driving. I know it is still in development but at 81 years of age I need all the driving help I can get.

If I had been aware that there is a ceramic coating for leather I would have gone with a white interior but I got the black. Black is so darn hot.

Also, I got the 19" wheels because I like the rims better.

For me, insurance was a huge surprise. My previous cars were covered by "The Hartford". During the purchase process, I called to get a few answers only to be told that they did not write policies for EVs. I then started to search for insurance and got quotes that ranged from $2000 to $3600 per year. I finally got a reasonable rate (about $1500/year) through Costco.

Driving the car and getting it all setup is different and sometimes a challenge.

Good luck with your purchase.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I started my Tesla Model 3 adventure in 2019 and at 73, fully agree with "all the driving help I can get." My other EV is a BMW i3-REx which small size, quick handling, makes it a driver's City car.

I did not know about Costco insurance and will check it out. I currently have Farmers and no complaints. I did add 'towing' option after an unexpected out of battery 1/2 mile from Superchargers. The 'battery reserve' has become something of a mystery I will be investigating with recently purchased, improved instrumentation.

Bob Wilson

9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Earlier this month I purchased a 2023 Model 3 RWD (18" wheels, white paint, white upholstery - so $2K extra) "from inventory" at a significant discount off the list price. I also used a friend's referral code and got an additional $500 off the price. Tesla gave me $18K for trading-in my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV and I will be eligible for at least part of the $7500 tax rebate. The vehicle was built at the Fremont factory in June 2023. The body exterior fit & finish is superb although some of the interior plastic panels could be a bit more "accurate"... There are no squeaks or rattles and the acoustic front door glass blocks out all the wind noise generated by the side mirrors. The heat pump is working hard to combat our current spate of 100°+ temperatures - it doesn't chill as quickly as a standard AC unit but it does, eventually, get the job done.

All told, once tax time rolls around, I will have paid $16-$18K for a brand new $43K vehicle: The local Toyota dealership recently sold a 2020 M3 Performance for $40K and currently has a 2021 M3 SR+ on their lot, listed at $32K. You are most likely NOT going to get a great deal on a late-model pre-owned Tesla, even if it has very high mileage on the odometer...

Tesla prices ALWAYS drop at the end of the fiscal quarter as the attempt to sell-off their inventory: The end of September will be the time to look at new Tesla pricing to see what you'd actually save by buying a pre-owned vehicle.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Two approaches I use:
    • The App can enable cabin cooling before going to the car.
      • Use "vent" the let solar heated air out.
    • Look for serious sun shielding:
      • Shade in the parking area (best)
      • External cabin cover to keep solar heating out
      • Internal cabin shields keep seats and cabin internal parts from being hot
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  11. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I was talking about WHILE driving. All of the glass in my M3 is designed to reject both UV and IR - the issue is the dark tinting Tesla applies to the roof: It heats up and THAT radiates into the car. The black interior surfaces also get warm but, delightfully, the white seats stay absolutely cool!

I do precondition the car before driving: Even though it's garaged at my home, the interior can get hot enough to engage "automatic overheat protection" - which I also leave on. If I have to park and leave the car while out and about - if for just a few minutes - I leave the AC running. If I'm away longer than that I'll vent and then precondition before returning.

Following a recent 200 mile round trip from my home in southern MS into LA on a cloudless, 103° day, I've just purchased a set of interior roof shades: I'll test them later this week when I have to make another longish drive in the middle of the day.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.