Latest MAP & NAV update has serious Bug (Nov 2021 release)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Nov 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I was delighted that 1 of my issues was fixed. However this latest release has a serious bug now that I've had a day to actually use it. The MAP constantly just "goes away" - like it loses communication with wherever it talks to. The screen goes dark and the "spinning circle" just spins away ... Pressing on the MAP button will do nothing until that spinning circle goes away. Prior to this release, I almost never lost my MAP on the screen. Not even in Tunnels. That has changed for the worse with this release. Wish I could back-out this release. Ugh ... 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this system.

Beware of installing this update. Anyone else seeing this?????

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. Yes mine as well. But this was happening before I did the upgrade. Thinking maybe the solar flares were interfering with GPS signal. Has not done this recently

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Here's my 2 cents, fwiw. This issue (SPINNING CIRLCE / DARK SCREEN / LOST Communication) started in Jan 2021 for me. This almost immediately followed the Dec 2020 NAV Update. It really was flawless prior to that for over a year. However the "SPINNING CIRCLE" issue was nowhere as BAD as THIS latest release. The other major annoyance was I'd send a POI Address from Bluelink App (or web site) to my car ... it would say "SUCCESSFUL" but would never arrive. So I opened a ticket with BlueLink around Feb 2021. They worked on this for MONTHS. I was on the phone with them providing details, walking thru the issue real time. I was always convinced it was a software issue -- but around July, they decided to replace my HEAD UNIT (the actual Display). Expensive attempt... Of course the POI problem persisted. The MAY 2021 update seemed to lessen the "SPINNING CIRCLE" issue & my MAP would stay "connected"; much better than previous version. But since they replaced my HEAD UNIT, my s/w version was back to the initial Factory default ... so at least the "SPINNING CIRCLE" issue was no longer present.

They told me to wait for the NOV update that was intended to fix the POI Address issue. So I did. And alas - I updated to the NOV 2021 version when it became available. Low and behold, the POI ADDRESS issue was in fact FIXED. YEA !!!!! So happy to have that feature back after almost a year. BUt then wham, the darn "SPINNING CIRCLE" communication issue.. This time much much worse - like constantly now. Make the MAP/NAV unusable. I have to use my PHONE for NAV now.

So 1 step fwd, 2 steps back. Looking fwd to the final FIX whenever they make that available.

6. I did install the update in my 2019 Ultimate, but don't have the problems that you folks are describing. It works overall for me, but the map in the home screen keeps reverting to "top down" view every time I use another function (radio, EV info) and then go back to the home screen. It goes back to my preferred "3d" view if I view the full-screen map and then return home. Not a horrible problem, but odd.
    For a couple days after updating, I thought it had also fixed my problem of the car not always picking up on texts received on my phone so not notifying me of new text messages. This has been going on since the beginning and I can't tell if it's a problem with my phone or the car. Anyway, the update did not fix this. I have a workaround, but wish it just worked reliably how it's supposed to...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Where are you located?

9. Sorry, that would have helped. California, USA. I downloaded the updater and installed on 11/11/21.

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I take my Kona into the Service Dept this morning .. Hyundai wants them to pull the LOG FILES and send to them to try to get to the bottom of this issue. I'll update once I hear back from them.

11. Did this ever get fixed? Is it OK to install this version?

I was excited to find the old infotainment software in the 2021 Ultimate that replaced my bought-back 2020. I missed the large programmable radio channel buttons with the channel names.

But Hyundai outmaneuvered me. After half a year of being fed circuitous routes by the navigation software, I surrender. I'm ready to trade usable radio buttons for being able to go directly to my destination.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

14. Thanks. Installed it - took most of an hour.

Just at a glance, this is the first update in a long time that made a good first impression. The Nixie tubes on the radio are smaller and I think the buttons are bigger, although they still don't have the names of the Sirius channels.

Still too brain-damaged to automate Daylight Savings Time, though.

15. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, I feel you. But at least the whole NAV & MAP crashing thing has been fixed ... as well as the SEND POI to car issue that I've had for nearly 1 year. :)

16. Looks like the one for Oz is still on the ealier May '21 release.

17. I updated, and the route planner is still brain-damaged.

The Google Maps route from Mendocino to a state redwood grove is 30.8 miles.

Mendocino to Montgomery Woods - Google.png

Here's what the nav system proposed:

Mendocino to Montgomery Woods - Kona.jpg

It's not like it didn't know the roads. I headed south from Mendocino and within a mile or so it agreed with Google Maps. (It might even know more roads. Toward the end of its bogus route it used a road that isn't on Google Maps. Yes, all sorts of possibilities, and I'll never know.)

It did try to send me off on a side road once going there and once back. It did that a handful of times on the trip. Sometimes the detour would have added substantial distance.

20220331_154719.jpg

Here's an example. I ignored the turn and it immediately recalculated using the road I was on, straight to the flag.

I could use Android Auto, but I really like having the nav directions on the heads-up display, which was the main reason I bought a late 2021 instead of the 2022s which were already available. #HyundaiBetaTester

18. Another bug in this release: Location-based charging is broken, at least for me and for a number of people in the FB group.

Josh815 likes this.
  19. Heads up! According to the Ioniq Guy, he posted a video showing the April 28 2022 Nav update (https://update.hyundai.com/CA/EN/updateNoticeList), which has finally removed the stupid Nixie tubes inserted in 2021 and (if you pause the video listing the feature changes), the radio presets can be ordered...

I know these 2 items are a frequent complaint here....

I'm still on the 3 widget OS, but if this OS works well, I ...might... be tempted to update.

My biggest question, and I've not found a video that shows this, what happens with the newer OS after you turn on the car, and how much tapping do you have to do every time, to get usable info on the screen? Does anyone have a link to show the screen operation?

20. Woot! Location-based charging is back!

And these two longstanding complaints of mine are fixed! Only four presets can show on the screen at a time, but that means the buttons are larger and easier to hit while driving.

Now to see if the navigation algorithms are still brain-damaged.

Dare I hope Daylight Savings has been automated? We'll have to wait until November to find out, so Hyundai will have another opportunity for that one.

21. Someone posted on the FB group that the update semi-bricked his nav system. It needed to be reset each time the car was turned on, and some data never displayed. But he was able to fix it by running the same update again.

Most of what I learned from the video is how many more things are configurable on the Ioniq 5 than the Kona.

Android Auto is configurable not to use split screen, but all that does is to display different content in the right 1/3 of the screen. Android Auto still only uses the left 2/3.

22. You can use the full screen. "You need to go into developer settings in the Android Auto app on your phone, set screen resolution to 720p. It'll go back to old UI (nav bar on bottom) but will fill up entire screen no widget area." At least it does on my Ioniq. Credit to nXt on Ioniq forum for tip and photo.

[​IMG]

23. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Something I've noticed is that there seemed to have been a Bluelink update somehow included. After this install, I am now getting "nag" messages about my doors being unlocked. I have the car in our garage at night and of course have doors unlocked. Once per hour now I get the message to my Bluelink App warning me the doors are unlocked.