kona stops charging?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Aug 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

this is the second time I notice this. car is a couple of months old.

first time it happened with the 120V trickle charger. it just stopped charging around 80-something percent even though it was set to charge to 100%.

and today I set the limit to 90%. I charged from about 15% to about 40% on a 240V L2 charger, then because it was taking too long I switched to a 50kW DC charger until about 70% and then went back to a 240V charger (these are free chargers at work).

then I looked later on at my bluelink and I see the car at 75%, it says it is plugged in but the remaining time is not showing.

so I go down and the car charging port is not lit up, the battery sign is not flashing. inside the car it is not showing anything on the dash when I open the door, does not show that it is plugged in (but bluelink does).

charger doesn't show any errors. car doesn't show errors either.

and then I turned the car on and it started charging again on its own. I did not touch the charger or the cable connection, just turned the car on.

it's about 21 degrees C outside.

bluelink is now showing 2 hours left to 90%.

anyone else see something like this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I get occasional flakiness with one local public charger on the AC side. One out of perhaps four times the car doesn't accept the offer of current and the EVSE (ABB Terra 53) times-out. I usually jiggle the tethered Type 2 plug and it usually works the next time but I think that's likely coincidental, as usually it will work the second time anyway. One time it did stop at around 80% for no apparent reason, limit was set at 100% and the EVSE of course has no idea of the SoC.

On another simple 32 amp public EVSE (untethered) it always works fine. Be sure there are no departure times enabled, that caught me out for the first month of ownership as it would start after a few tries anyway so I didn't look further.

4. victor_2019

I've never set any departure times.

How do i do that, where do i check?

In blue link the schedules all show off

5. Charging settings, I recall. The second photo shows the departure time not set, you touch the button to toggle the blue bar. I don't think this is in the manual.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8a2.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8a3.jpg

6. victor_2019

No, none of those settings were touched

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'll have to try that "jiggle" thing on the Terra 53 machines in this area. I am so used to opening the hood first to enable a manual unlock of the connector (using that orange pull) before starting, knowing so some sort of com error usually precedes a successful charge (door locking/unlocking doesn't always work) :rolleyes:

9. Ok, so it's not just me. I exclusively use a nearby public charger because I can't park on the main street outside my flat long enough to make it worthwhile to throw an extension cord out the window. Furthermore, I prefer to use the AC over DC because it's presumably easier on the battery (per owner's manual) and as importantly I'm not preventing anyone else from using the DC concurrently. But it's getting very busy lately - yesterday there was a Tesla P100D on the AC all day, taking advantage of the free parking for EVs only, and one Kona DC charging with another Kona waiting. I left and returned later without alerting them to my presence because three Konas in one place in a small town on a remote island in the South Pacific is statistically impossible.

I'm puzzled as to why the AC doesn't always start first time on the Terra 53. It's pretty random - it either fires off in about 10 seconds (contactor clunks) or times out in 62 seconds. The charger owner has been of little help, as has ABB. The question of an intermittent connection is not easy to accept as the CP line connectivity is what takes the EVSE from EV connected to EV ready, thereby incrementing to the 'start' message on the screen.
    The Type 2 connector here seems clean and is not worn. I've even checked the temperature of the plug and the OBC after an hour of charging in case there was something else to chase down. As I said earlier, on the 'dumb' free untethered EVSE 4 blocks away (Schneider) it always works first time. The only other player here is the Kona. If it doesn't always start, stopping randomly is not much of a stretch.

Images below are DC and AC. The glitch in the AC trace is from opening the door to get in after starting.

Charge profile and equivalent billing.PNG

AC charging on Terra 53, 10 min.PNG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I had issues before on DC fast chargers that they ended the session prematurely. Not sure why.. It only happens on some chargers. The last 3 times I charged on a DC Fast charger, I had no issues..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Seems my original message got lost...
    @KiwiME re post#7
    It would be a good idea to "get out of Dodge" when that charging rate hits 22kW with that billing system.
    Good to see the pack temperature is constant (slow increase) throughout the charge, What ambient was this done
    Edit - I see what I did wrong, added to your quote : sorry

14. Ambient was about 12°C ... certainly starting at 55% was not ideal for that test as warming due to charging could not be exploited until it was too late, but on the other hand I was trying to highlight the downsides of time-based billing because our government puzzlingly is looking to hit EVs owners with distance-based road taxes.

15. Great example of time based billing disadvantages.
    Presently the public DCFC established charging cost is about 3X what you pay at home ( .035 per kWh including losses) which seems worth it.
    The distance road tax thing is a money grab IMHO (heavy trucks, oil residue causing pre-mature asphalt degradation from ICE etc).
    Costs due to regulation would offset any benefits at this time , but gradually as the population of EVs increase on our roads it is unfortunately inevitable the same will occur here:(