Kona Electric Recall #196

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brian Batters, Oct 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brian Batters

Brian Batters New Member

Due to the fact that the dealership in Palmdale, Ca told me that Hyundai does not have details yet on when they expect our 2019 will ACTUALLY be recalled as they do not have viable fix for this problem and notices to owners are not expected to be sent out until December. I, for one, am in financial problems and had intended to sell my Kona Electric Ultimate (blue) to payoff other expenses. Now it looks like that will not be possible as even the dealership stated that THEY have been directed to NOT sell any 2019 or 2020s. May I suggest, that we in the USA start a class action suit against Hyundai. They actually now recommend that we park our cars outside! Any lawyers out there that would take this on?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sean Hawkes

Sean Hawkes New Member

You can sell your car privately, dealers can't sell a vehicle with open safety recalls as far as I know.

What do you think a class action suit would get you since Hyundai is voluntarily recalling the vehicles? If anything the lawyers win and you get a coupon for $5 off your next Hyundai.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

4. Yes, I believe there is around 1000 affected new unsold inventory in the US and 10 in Canada plus any used 2019-2020 units that the dealers have to sit on as unsaleable at this point.

5. Hire an attorney. That way you actually get some money. Class action suits are methods to get lawyers rich. The affected people get $5 as mentioned above. Totally stupid. It would actually make more sense to put that money into public charging infrastructure.

Or sell your car privately and let the person know that there is a safety recall soon.

Hey, I drive my toyota for 10 years with an "exploding" airbag. I'm still alive!

6. Well put, went through this once before with my first Leaf (pre mature capacity loss). This post is a good representation of any outcome:
    https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13633&start=210#p335428

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I suspect your financial situation isn't caused by hyundai. So venting that frustration on hyundai may not be the best approach. It's not as if kona's are going on fire everyday. Yes it's a problem but given the coverage is in Korea I suspect it will get sorted pretty soon, however uncomfortable for hyundai.

And bear in mind that if your car did go up in smoke because of the issue then that would be the end of your financial issues. So actually keeping the car may be a winning strategy.

9. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

$5 off your next oil change :D But yeah the only people who "win" a class-action lawsuit are the lawyers...