Kona Electric Mileage

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Karl C., Aug 25, 2019.

Is any one else getting this crazy mileage?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

I purchased my 2019 Kona 3 months ago and every single time i take it to a full charge i get a higher mileag IMG_1182.png e reading. I am now at 340 mi on a full charge. Has any one else experienced this.

2. apu

apu Active Member

You are experiencing the GOM(guess o' meter) predicting what your mileage be based on past driving conditions/driver behavior. It may not represent actual range.

3. BlueKonaEV

BlueKonaEV Active Member

My highest on the GOM was 348 but my highest (miles driven + remaining miles on GOM was 387.8 miles.. 358.8 driven + 29 remaining. Kona's official range is certainly underrated with heat and AC off. 20190719_115655.jpg Screenshot_20190713-082954_MyHyundai.jpg

4. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

Love the graphics on that screen, does it give you the option to change the car to an EV?

5. BlueKonaEV

BlueKonaEV Active Member

I don't think that I can change the graphic on the bluelink app but it shows exactly my car on the myhyundai website. Screenshot_20190825-205124_Chrome.jpg

It shows recommended maintenance as I'm over 5k miles..

6. Wildeyed

Wildeyed Well-Known Member

What sort of maintenance is required at such low mileage? Sounds fishy.

7. BlueKonaEV

BlueKonaEV Active Member

5k miles service. Rotate tires and check fluids, brakes etc... Regular scheduled service.. Doing that myself..

8. EVRIGREEN

EVRIGREEN New Member

Best predicted mileage was 344, and it seemed pretty accurate. But we've had a bit of a cold snap and I've noticed my mileage is decreasing. My commute is 25 miles and I've been using 24 to 25 miles per trips for weeks. This morning, with temps in the 50s, I used up 30 miles of range for the same commute, same conditions. It's happening... Curse you cold weather! Winter is going to be a challenge after only having my Kona during the summer months.

9. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

Heat pump makes a huge difference on consumption, not sure you have one ( is this a U.S. model?)

10. EVRIGREEN

EVRIGREEN New Member

U.S., so no heat pump.

11. Jamas

Jamas Member

GOM.jpg
    Mine went as high as 367 on a full charge.

TheLight75 and electriceddy like this.
  12. TheLight75

TheLight75 Member

I haven't seen higher than 336

13. eastpole

eastpole Member

Karl,

Are you seeing actual distances driven similar to the GuessOMeter predictions?

I apologize in advance for posting in Canadian/metric units in a global forum; we're weird and use kWh/100 km. But the observation is more important than the units.

4 people in car, no luggage, no climate control, mostly highway driving: 12 kWh/100 km.
    4 people in car, tonnes of luggage AND ROOFTOP BOX(1), no climate control, mostly highway driving: 18 kWh/100 km.

Note I was not moving a thousand litres of water or a bookstore worth of books; this is just regular vacation stuff. So far I do not have a sense of whether it's the weight or the aerodynamics that is imposing the energy cost here. But overall: 50% penalty for heavy load + rooftop box.

As you can imagine this threw off my GuessOMeter twice, once on the trip when we were drawing way more power than usual to go at 100 km, and again when we got home and unloaded and got things back to normal. Trip distance is about 330 km and it did not seem prudent to try to make it the whole distance without a brief top-up along the way. So now we have some experience with fast chargers!

(1) A Yakima Spacecase on Thule Aero bars.