Is Enhanced Autopilot worth $6K?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Celtic Norseman, Aug 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

Does anyone have experience with the Tesla Enhanced Autopilot? Is it worth the $6k upgrade on a new Model 3 long range? Drivers with personal experience, would love to hear what you think.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How does one assess the value of an Autopilot? It seems it would have different values for different applications. If it stays with the car when you sell it, then the value increases.

I don't own a Tesla so it's a moot question for me, but if you drive long distances and want your Tesla to help you, I think it would be worth $3,500 ;)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't answer accurately as I have AutoPilot that now is standard and Full Self Driving (FSD,) $6,000 in October 2019:
    • Autopilot is slightly limited in urban streets because it must have lane lines to work correctly. But I find it trustable when FSD throws a hissy-fit and strikes me out.
    • FSD is a princess and the pea, toddler compared to Autopilot or even manual driving with my 2017 BMW i3-REx. Since the BMW is smaller, nimbler, and close to just as efficient as the Tesla, the BMW has become my go-to choice for urban driving. The Tesla with Autopilot and FSD is a more comfortable, cross country car.
    • Each can fully accomplish what the other does at different degrees of comfort and within 10-15% the cost per mile.
    I don't know if this helps but just another data point. Just I don't want to be too dark on FSD.

Both Autopilot and FSD have shown significant improvements over time. I understand FSD V12 has replaced a large chunk of C++ code with an Artificial Intelligence engine and training. Some of the Kabuki-like, FSD failings suggest inflexible C++ algorithms are causing a big chunk of the FSD problems. My FSD is at V11.4.4 versus the V12.x version coming.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

If you are considering enhanced autopilot, you might want to wait until the latest hardware is installed in the Model 3. Elon claims it wont make a difference, but I wouldn't believe until I see it.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Also, I'd expect prices for the "old" M3 to drop as soon as the impending M3 "Project Highland" model-refresh is officially announced. Of course, the existence of the refreshed M3 will affect the resale value of the "old" M3s, so perhaps waiting for the refreshed M3 with the Enhanced Autopilot is the best plan.

I like the M3's new front fascia very much. I wonder when we'll see if the rear end is also improved?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rob Marlowe

Rob Marlowe New Member

I got it three years ago, when I bought my Model 3. It was $3k then. I tend not to use it.