Insurance - 2019 Clarity Electric

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by lotsa questions, Dec 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. lotsa questions

lotsa questions New Member

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an insurance company that has good rates on the Honda Clarity EV. I have a clean driving record, drive little (5k miles/yr), 800 fico score.
    I have two quotes so far:
    State Farm: $755 / 6 mos (100k/300k bodily)
    Geico: $583 / 6 mos (100k/300k)

Are these good rates? Should I get more quotes? thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Are you over 25?
    Are you in a large densely populated city?
    Is car theft a major vocation in your area?
    How many years driving?
    High tech cars are expensive to insure due to the array of sensors and expensive bits that can get dented.

4. lotsa questions

Yes, 44 yrs old.
    In an older "mature" neighborhood, a few miles outside of downtown Sacramento. Population about 1MM
    28 years driving.
    Ah I see. But on the flip side all those expensive bits are supposedly supposed to make the car safer (less likely to cause an accident due to the sensors etc), so one would think that that would have a downward pressure on the insurance cost.

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

We have State Farm @ $386 for 6 mos:
    P1 Combined Premium

A Liability Coverage
    Bodily Injury Limits
    Each Person, Each Accident
    $250,000 $500,000
    Property Damage Limit
    Each Accident
    $100,000
    P1 Personal Injury Protection Coverage
    (See Policy Schedule for Limits.)

$156.69 / 6 mos

Comprehensive Coverage - $100 Deductible

$32.92 / 6 mos

Collision Coverage - $500 Deductible

$134.55 / 6 mos

Emergency Road Service Coverage

$5.14 / 6 mos

Car Rental and Travel Expenses Coverage

Limit - Car Rental Expense
    Each Day, Each Loss
    $25 $600

$9.30 / 6 mos

Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage

Bodily Injury Limits
    Each Person, Each Accident
    $250,000 $500,000
    Property Damage Limit
    Each Accident
    $20,000

$46.99 / 6 mos

Discounts for:
    Multiple Line, Accident Free, Multicar, Vehicle Safety
    Total: $330.55 / 6 mos

Portland OR area

Only way to find out if it is a good rate is to shop around. Too many variables (and too few Clarity Electric owners) to get a definitive answer on an internet forum.

lotsa questions likes this.
  6. lotsa questions

I see thanks. You have a very good rate. I'm guessing that just being in California will add extra cost.
    This makes me mad at State Farm though; I have 2 cars and house insurance with them.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Being in CA, I feel I get charged way too much for insurance myself with a perfect driving record for over 40 years.

Finally found an insurance company that actually cares about my clean record: Wawanesa

Wawanesa is in San Diego, CA and will only insure very low risk clients.

I have to say they have saved me tons compared to years with these past insurance companies: Geico, AAA, Mercury....

9. eneka

eneka Member

That's about how much I'm paying for my Clarity full electric. $765/6 months for 100k/300k with Farmers. We have home insurance, and 4 cars total with them. All drivers have a clean driving record and multiple years, plenty of discounts. Been with Farmers for 20+ years now. I've quoted with other places and overall costs waa always still cheaper with Farmers. It seems the cheapest was Geico by about $100 or so for just the car. I think AAA wanted $900+/6months.
    I'm located in the LA area.

Was thinking about bumping coverage up to 250k/500k with an umbrella coverage. This actually lowers the premiums for my car (though I'm paying extra for the umbrella).

Our 2017 Mercedes B250e was about $700/6months and our previous 2015 BMW i3 was around $500/6months.

10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

That's what we have. The umbrella is relatively inexpensive ($126/yr) and covers us on all our vehicles, homeowners, etc.