Hyundai Extended Protection Plan

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by rfg81, Feb 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi, I got a call yesterday from my dealership that my car (ultimate version) is on the ship and should be in Canada in two weeks. I ordered it on June 4th 2019 and the dealer told me I should have the car on the first week of March. Now I need to decide if I should get the extended protection plan.

Here in Canada we have:
    "Premium Plus Plan" (for 8 years - CAD$3,135)
    "Premium Plan" (for 8 years - CAD$2,715)
    "Powertrain Plan" (for 8 years - CAD$2,440)

Is it worth the price? Which one should I get? For how long? My initial idea is to keep the car as long as possible. I've had my current car for the last ten years.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well you already get a comprehensive warranty for 5 years and 100,000 km and EV related components including the motor, inverter and battery are covered for 8 years 160,000 km. Down load the extended protection warranty pdf and have look. I personally think its expensive insurance geared for ICE cars and it does not seem like you get much value for money but if helps you sleep at night why not.

4. Thread on this:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/extended-warranty-for-kona-ev.4600/#post-54421
    Simple negotiation should bring that premium plus plan price to $2k .
    If your intent is to keep the car for some time it is probably worthwhile.;)
    BTW, that seems like a little longer than normal delivery wait time, you are a very patient person. Congratulations in advance.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  5. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Check if it is transferable to a new owner - much less worthwhile if not

6. The "plus" plan is fully transferable to subsequent owners providing the customer contacts an authorized Hyundai dealership to perform the contract transfer
    or
    sends to HACC by prepaid registered mail :
    a copy of the agreement and a completed transfer form obtained from an authorized dealer, a copy of the bill of sale, and $50 fee (unless prohibited by law)
    either of the above methods must be within 15 days of the resale of the vehicle.
    Note- these terms as set out by Hyundai Auto Canada Corp (HACC), I am sure USA owners have their equivalent.
    May also be pro-rated refunded (after 45 days)
    if
    collision(resulting in total loss),theft,repossession or relocation o/s of Canada.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I personally see extended warranty plans as a scam. Just think about it.. If the odds would be in the consumers favor that they would receive repairs worth more $$ than the cost of the plan, they would lose money on those plans. The odds are certainly in favor of whoever offers those plans.

9. What part of the country are you in?

10. Montreal, Canada

11. Further in support of my previous comment about these plans being ICE centric, I had another look at the inclusion items in the 8 year 160,000 km $3100 premium plus plan. Of the 150 items listed as inclusion only 72 items applied to a Kona electric and the 3 items specific to electric/hybrid were really only specific to a hybrid. Essentially you get pay for insurance on components you don't have by a factor of at least 50%. If they are going to sell electric vehicles Hyundai should really put some thought into the marketing of insurance and service to EV owners, both seem like after thoughts that really don't make much sense when you apply some critical thought.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That was a basis for my negotiation when I purchased it at a substantial cost reduction. It still does however cover quite a few components common to both ICE and EV where the repair/replacement costs could be considerable.;)

14. By any chance do you have a picture of the 72 items that are applied to the kona ev? I'm going to negotiate it tomorrow

15. I got the premium plan for around $2400. The reason I got it was for the insurance on the media system, which is probably the most likely item to go and very expensive to repair. The plan I got was also refundable after the 8 years if not used.

16. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

If you do get it, start low. As Electriceddy pointed out the premium plus plan shouldn't cost you more than $2000.

17. Could anyone send me the invoice for the premium plus plan (in Canada for 8 years) in PM? My dealer says it's impossible to do it for less then $3000. When I told them about the forum and the price people are getting, they said they would need a proof :(

18. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Can you not print the thread out from message #3 above and take it to them? One of the guys from Ontario only paid $1900 for the premium plus.

19. If I could bring some written proof to the table (like some kind of invoice with hidden sensitive information from the owner), I believe there is no way they could refuse it. If someone would be kind enough to provide me that (PM), I would really appreciated it! :)

20. Maple

Maple Member

I bought my Kona preferred July and paid around 2000cad for this plus extend plan. The sale guy told me it is fully refundable. If I am not claiming anything I will get 2000cad credit if I buy new Hyundai car in future. If I don’t want the new car credit I can cash out for 1000cad. But I did not see any official words from Hyundai Canada. Anyone has any more info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs