HV Battery getting quite warm during L2 charging...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Jul 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi all,
    I recently charged from 49% to 77% at a Level 2 charger running at 7.4 kilowatts. When I opened the front hood, I noticed/felt some warm air rising. I touched the top surface of the battery and the aluminum castings and found them to be quite warm. Not really hot, no problem leaving my hand in contact, but well above ambient. Never noticed this before.
    I am wondering if this is a normal condition that I just had not noticed before, or is this something to be concerned about and should be investigated? Can't help thinking about the bent anode tabs and such that have been reported about the LG battery...... I have a 2019 Ultimate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I would be more concerned about finding the HV battery under the hood, instead of its usual place under the rear seat...

KiwiME likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

If it's the flattish black-painted metal thing you see first on opening the hood, that's the charger. Or maybe
    you've left the dumb "EV" plastic cover in place, and the charger's sitting under it. Either way, the charger
    at 90% efficiency dissipates around 700 watts on its own, and that's what you're feeling. Coolant is run
    through the charger and everything else under it because it's all one big cooling loop, so all those
    parts get a little warm.

If it's not raining, you can open the hood to help it dissipate.

_H*

5. I've measured up to 55°C on the OBC top surface. Nothing to worry about.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Thanks, I stand corrected. It was the black metal charger plate that was nice and warm. I'm just surprised that I never noticed it before. Seems I have become spooked by all the battery problems reporting, not just on this forum but the media as well.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks, I will stop worrying.

KiwiME, electriceddy and BC-Doc like this.