Gonna do my longest trip yet tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Dec 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Have had my Mini since November 6. So far we've only driven it around town. My wife has been driving it for work almost every day for her 52 mile round trip plus small side trips for shopping, etc.

Tomorrow I am going to drive it down to an event at the fairgrounds 41 miles away. Pretty much all freeway and will probably be around 40 degrees. ABRP says I should have about 58% SOC on arrival and 16% when I return home. I'm going to go for it and not plan to charge. If I get down there and find that it is much worse than expected, there are a couple of charge stations I could use, including an EVGO at the Walmart down there. I'm actually looking forward to it!

Rob

wessy, Lainey, MichaelC and 1 other person like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I actually have a similar route, 84mi round trip, almost exclusively interstate (75mph). Done it a couple times in 30-40F weather, gotten back with 30%ish using green mode. It handles really well for these longish trips! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

wessy and MichaelC like this.
  4. Teddydogno1

Successful trip. Was about 43 degrees at departure and VERY windy and a little rainy. Speed limit on the Interstate is 70 and I drove that or a little above for the 42 miles. SOC was 56% when I arrived at the fair.

The return included a quick stop at a store near the fair and then back on the freeway a few miles further from home. So the return was a couple of miles longer than the trip down. Still very windy and much wetter on the way back. Could not use the cruise control so my speed was much more varied. 46 degrees at home when I arrived with 7% battery.

Fun trip. Never really worried about needing any top off.

Rob

GvilleGuy, wessy, F14Scott and 3 others like this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've determined that wind is one of the main range-killers with the SE.

GvilleGuy and Carsten Haase like this.
  6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

And speed is wind. The faster you go the faster the battery is depleted. No surprise there. But this is the most impactful. The surprise is elevation change. This also plays a big part, but can be less noticeable if the elevation change is quite gradual.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Teddydogno1

I presume that I got such low range on this charge because:
    1) speed (over 70 most of the way)
    2) pretty much all freeway so very little re-gen
    3) new Continental Pro Contact LS A/S tires (supposed to be high efficiency, but unknown how much change these made)
    4) headwinds
    5) low-ish temb (low to mid 40s)

I also think the return trip did worse because I was not able to use Cruise for constant speed, and I think it was net uphill on the way home.

I think #1 and #2 were the biggest reason, but I don't know for sure.

Rob

9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Lack of regen doesn't really cost you anything, it just doesn't give you back a bit of what you already spent. Generally, low and steady speed is best, coasting with the needle at "zero" is second most efficient (i.e. yields more range), and regen is third.

As you noted, your speed above Rmax (maximum range speed in the SE, somewhere around 25 MPH) is what kills your range, and the faster the worse.

Denise C and wessy like this.
  10. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

If it was a recent change I'd vote #3 as a big contributor. The OEM tires are about as efficient as you can get so any replacement will be worse. When I changed from the stock summers to performance all seasons my average range went from 136mi down to 107mi

wessy likes this.
  11. Teddydogno1

Tire efficiency certainly contributes something, but it is frustratingly difficult to compare tires for this exactly in the US market. The Conti PureContact LS are listed as very efficient and with low rolling resistance, but not objective number. So no idea if they are similar to stock (probably not since Mini probably cherry picked one of the best eco tires), 5% worse, 10% worse, or WORSE. They have only been on for a week or two on a Mini that we've only had for 1.5 months, so I don't have enough data.

Rob

Carsten Haase and wessy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Godfrey

Godfrey Member

I don't have a lot of data yet, but my range has gone down quite a bit since temperatures dropped to the 40s where I live in the SF Bay Area. I have the same all-season tires as @Teddydogno1 and I didn't see much of a change from the stock summer tires until temperatures dropped. I hadn't expected temps in the 40s to have a big impact and perhaps there's something else at play, although I've monitored tire pressure and added air as needed. So for what it's worth, here's my data. I'll feel more confident in what's going on with range after I've had the car a full year and put more miles on it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 9.27.56 AM.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    ER13, GvilleGuy and wessy like this.
  14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Really cold -14F averages about 2.5 miles/kWh for me, even with preconditioning!

15. vader

vader Well-Known Member

15 months in, my car indicates 12.5kWh/100km. This is across all traffic/road/weather conditions. For those metrically challenged :^) that is a smidge under 5miles/kWh in the old money. This is the lifetime average of the little beast, not the best achieved. Our weather is realistically from around 10C (midwinter night) to 40+C (midsummer day). Normal daytime temps are around 20-40C across the year.

wessy and ghost like this.