Gear drive help

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by robflo1970, May 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. robflo1970

robflo1970 New Member

Hello everyone, i have a big problem, the gear drive has to be replaced and the dealership is charging me so much money. Can any good mechanic be able to do this fixing in electric car, to replaced the GEAR DRIVE, i love my Kona but it feels like the dealership is the only that can fix electric cars.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. robflo1970

robflo1970 New Member

The warranty has expired, my wife uses the car to drive back and forth to Toronto about 4 hours a day. We have passed the mileage. That is why I have to fix it myself

4. Hate to say it, but Hyundai is not Toyota. I had my gearbox and motor replaced early on while under warranty. But ever since then and reading about some of the gearbox design issues in the Repair Issues and Fixes thread I have had some doubts about the long term reliability of the gearbox. Sure hope it is fixed in the I5/I6 as I am planning to get an I6.

I would suggest appealing to Hyundai Canada about the gearbox issue to see if they might extend the warranty. Your claim can be that this issue has been there for some time, before the warranty expired. But I wouldn't hold up in great hopes for that given how this issue has been handled so far by the company.

KiwiME likes this.
  5. I agree with @RP above. With so many gearbox/motor issues to this point, it would seem prudent for Hyundai to contribute at least a replacement part.
    Curious how much the estimate was (how much labor and the cost portion of the new gearbox), I believe this would be the first quote out of warranty I have seen on this forum.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Given that failures are not uncommon and peripherally acknowledged by a TSB, I think there's a likelihood that Hyundai might step up and pay for part of it.
    But if that doesn't happen you could purchase the part and have it installed by any competent shop. It just bolts in place with just one electrical connector for the parking pawl actuator.

upload_2023-5-17_8-4-57.png