Frunkin' noise.. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bulls96, Sep 1, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Noticed this in my garage today.

Less than a week out from delivery.

Its like a buzzing sound on Starting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bulls96

bulls96 Member

dtipan likes this.
  4. Hmm. That does sound odd. I do know they make sounds, but it's typically fan sounds. I'll send out a tweet and maybe get some owner's opinions.

bulls96 likes this.
  5. bulls96

bulls96 Member

This noise stopped a few weeks after my last post but has come back recently, especially with the hot weather.

Has this been established as normal? THere are much more M3 owners now since the last post and upon research, it seems a lot of people are having this.

Part of the cabin overheat protection or battery cooling?

Or should I call Tesla and have the fan belts checked out?

Thanks.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have similar sounds especially after disconnecting from a SuperCharger. Sounds like the AC turning on to cool the battery.

Bob Wilson

bulls96 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dtipan

dtipan New Member

This is normal. My car does it and I asked the same thing. Its just a fan sound from 2 things. Whenever you open your door the AC will usually turn on and when you come back from a drive it will have that sound for sometimes a long time after. Mine sometimes does it for like an hour after driving. That is the battery cooling system or your AC preventing your car from getting that bad smell that most 3s get. hope this helps!

bulls96 and Domenick like this.
  9. SetxTsla

SetxTsla New Member

My brand new M3 making same noises. Not all the time, but I have heard this one few times already.