First 100% charge after recall..

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Nov 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Looks like they really added 0.5% to the buffer..
    I used to be at 97% BMS at 100% Display. Now it's 96.5%

Screenshot_20201109-154828_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20201109-154817_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20201109-154747_Torque.jpg Screenshot_20201109-154623_MyHyundai.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Domenick and R P like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Ok i see a pause. Two screenshots from juicebox, both are to a 100% charge. First from back in August before any BMS updates:

Screenshot_20201109-163310_EV%20JuiceNet.jpeg

This one from just now. Beginning SOC was 70%.
    Screenshot_20201109-163250_EV%20JuiceNet.jpeg

It is a little hard to tell how long the charging rate dropped - just measuring the picture, I would say about 12 minutes or so. But I only see one pause.

4. New battery, maybe needs more cell balancing initially.

5. FloridaSun

I charged on both, 50kw and Level 2 past 90% and did not experience a slow down. Charging appears just as before except that the charging rate drop happens 0.5% later which is likely due to a 0.5% higher top end buffer. Everything so far points to a slightly decreased buffer. 0.5% is so minor that it doesn't bother me.. That's about 1.5 miles less range. I can live with that. My cells are never more than 0.02 Volt apart..

electriceddy likes this.
  6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I don't have any problem with a pause. The extra 5% top end buffer I don't see how it will make a difference on the safety aspect of the recall. It reduces my range. Not charging to 4.2v is very strange for this battery chemistry. They are designed to be charged to this value. I researched countless batteries for sale and in use and with this chemistry they are all charged to 4.2v. This seams like a shot in the dark as to fixing the problem.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The farther you stay away from the absolute limits of the chemistry's voltage, the less chance that some anomaly results in cell damage, and thus the less chance that the car will spontaneously combust.

Worth mentioning that the max cell voltage seems to have decreased from 4.185 to 4.16x volts. That's a 0.59% reduction in max voltage, which is the 0.5% above. Yes, this decreases the max range of the vehicle... by about 1.3 miles (w/nominal range of 258mi). I'm willing to bet you lose more range than that due to air temperature variations throughout the day. Heck that amount of range could be the difference between if you used the toilet before driving off or not!

A trivial price to pay for that assurance that the chemistry is kept happy.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Well put... but the usable range of the chemistry is between 4.2v and 2.8v for a diff of 1.4v. .04v is 2.8% of the 1.4v difference. 2.8% of 258 is actually 7.3 miles which is a bit more significant. As I also understand more of the energy of the battery is realized at the higher end of the charge cycle. I can accept it for the safety if it is true that it reduces the chance of fire. The same chemistry from the other battery suppliers, I understand, hasn't been spontaneously bursting into flames. This seams like a band aid to not address the actual problem with the manufacturing of the LG-Chem batteries.

10. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Do you know something the rest of us don't? Because right now the best evidence leans towards a BMS software cockup, and there have only been allegations (by Hyundai) that the cell manufacture is to blame... and they stopped making those allegations a month ago AFAIK.

11. FloridaSun

My pack Voltage was 408.8 Volts after my first full charge since the update which translates to 4.1714 Volts per cell group..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Noting that all cells in your TP image were displayed as "4.16" and assuming per-cell displayed values are truncated and no other analog measurement errors, the actual cell voltages must all be between 4.160 V and 4.179 V, with the average as you stated. I guess the point is that the pack voltage does not accumulate the truncation issue.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  14. FloridaSun

I agree. The Kona's BMS reports in 0.02 intervals. It does not round.. So, between 4.1600 and 4.1799 volts, it will display 4.16 Volts.

KiwiME likes this.
  15. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

As I have read but not verified, only one cell manufacturer, LG Chem's batteries are having the issue. I assume all BMS's are the same as are the charging specs on the same Kona model for 64kwh batteries. If the battery chemistry is suppose to be the same, the BMS's are the same you can see what leads me to the conclusion. Reducing the capacity of all the batteries reduces the range on the batteries that don't have a problem. Is Hyundai applying the fix to all Konas or just those with LG Chem batteries?

16. FloridaSun

I believe that all Kona Electric 64kw come with LG batteries.

17. Except those made in the Czech Republic ...

18. FloridaSun

Who makes the Battery for those?

19. mho likes this.
  20. FloridaSun

21. Yes they do.

FloridaSun likes this.
  22. FloridaSun

So, yesterday, I charged at the place where I usually have lunch. I got there at around 11 am and arrived at 75% SoC. I left the place around 11:45 am and the SoC was up to 82% but the charge rate when I got to the car was only 0.9 kw... I stopped the charge via bluelink and re-started it and the charging rate went back up to 6.4 kw (which is the normal rate at that charger). I did check my cells while I was charging at 0.9 kw and they all were in sync, so I don't think that any balancing was going on...

23. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I believe the Czech Konas are only being sold in Europe. So far, at least.