Extended cooling observation.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Sep 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I charged from 19 to 90% in a longer session on a 50kw charger (which currently has an issue and only supplies up to 35kw). Cooling seems to always trigger at 98.6 F / 37 C and shuts off 91.4 F / 33 C..
    charging-sept15.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

4. FloridaSun

this session was the first time that I actually observed the battery cooling to shut off and it was exactly at 33C.. I was very pleased with the battery temperature in that session.. The reduced power to 35kw at the charger helped to keep the battery temp below 100F (38C) the battery temp never exceeded 98.6F/37 C..

5. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

I am guessing there are different temperature set points depending on the charge power.
    During my last charge, cooling started immediately as I started the charge at 76kW while the battery max temperature was 26°C/79°F.
    Then the cooling stopped exactly at the same time as the charge tapered from 57kW to 35kW at when hitting 72% of SOC, the battery was at 30°C/86°F at the time.
    See attached screenshot.
    upload_2020-9-18_16-12-7.png

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. FloridaSun

Interesting. I have to try on a EA charger soon to see if this is the case on my Kona..