EV battery startup QuantumScape starts shipping prototypes to automakers, a key milestone

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Dec 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/ev-battery-startup-quantumscape-starts-shipping-prototypes-to-automakers-a-key-milestone/ar-AA15uaG9

QuantumScape said it has begun shipping "A0" samples of its battery cells to its automaker clients. These samples are nearly full-size prototypes that will allow the automakers to test and begin the process of validating the company's technology for automotive use....Solid-state batteries are so called because they don't need the liquid or gel electrolyte found inside existing batteries. A solid-state battery pack can be smaller and lighter than a lithium-ion pack of similar capacity, with much less risk of catching fire.

VW is the largest shareholder in this company and Porsche is likely the first customer for these batteries. Makes sense due to potential costs, but I am somehow skeptical that it will be in production in 2026. However this is a giant step and hopefully they do well. If they do it will be a game changer

https://electrek.co/2022/03/28/porsche-is-reportedly-working-with-quantumscape-to-develop-an-electric-911-powered-by-solid-state-batteries/

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

When they show up in iPhones or laptops, I'll be more interested.

Bob Wilson

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

That too, but it is going to much further down the pike before it gets to a point where it is affordable. The market they are going for is the premium EV segment till they can get costs down and I think that is a good plan. We need innovation in battery technology and this might not pan out in the end but I am glad they are trying

GetOffYourGas likes this.