Electric tailgate updated to Niro EV?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by AlexCarey, Dec 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AlexCarey

AlexCarey New Member

I've been having difficulties with my 2019 Niro EV when I close the rear hatch/tailgate. Often times the dash would indicate that it's ajar so I'd have to reopen and slam it. Well, I finally decided to convert/upgrade it to electric and just finished the marathon installation, about 8 hours total.
    I researched and found most installation kits cost at least $500 and most are sourced in China. So I bit the bullet and ordered through AliExpress, one called "Better Smart Auto Electric Tail Gate Lift for Kia Niro 2017+ years, very good quality, free shipping!with suction lock!" which including shipping cost about The challenges are that the instructions show only major steps and you need to be brave in popping off the interior panels, figure out how exactly to insert the hardware and trust that the different strike, latch and other parts do fit and align properly. I've had to cover holes where the bumper tops were removed and taped around the reduced size latch, otherwise it looks fine and functions properly.
    Now I can use my keyfob or the new buttons - on liftgate and dash, the only drilling/cutting involved - and the hatch automatically opens and closes completely, including suction. There only one connection that you need to tape new wires to existing - would have been much nicer if they just provided the end connector to just plug in, like all the other connections.
    Again, the only reason for the long time was to fingure out the details and install with a clean finish. Only last tweak is to quiet or possibly disable the beeper that confirms open/close and notifies if any errors. Might put it on a switch to opt to not make a noise. Otherwise it's a n

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AlexCarey

AlexCarey New Member