Door ajar (Nothing else showing on screen!)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by doggyworld, Sep 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I found out the hard way that if the door sensor thinks the door is left open, the main driver's screen ONLY shows the door ajar picture.

I think either some water from a carwash might have gotten into the sensor or something, but at some point, our Kona kept saying the door was open even though we clearly had it closed. The whole car functions fine and all the modes worked, except for the driver's screen. I had to drive with a separate GPS app on my phone in order to get a speedometer reading.

I think this is a pretty big design flaw in the interface. I could see having the door ajar shown on the screen if the door is open, but at least give me the Odometer so I can drive safely!

Note: After I got home and played around with the locking mechanism on the side of the door, the problem went away.. so my guess is the sensor dried out. :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tracy

Tracy New Member

This happened to me too. At the next stop light I opened and closed the door and that fixed it. It never happened again.

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I ran into this last night too, but for an entirely different reason. I had just come home from an EV
    show-n-tell event that ran into the evening, and had been running extra lighting from my 12V inverter.
    It has its own battery but can also be tied into the car for recharging; it's a direct hookup that comes
    off my splitter from the front power outlet. [It can also serve as a jump box for low-power bootup
    scenarios like a Prius or EV, as it has a heavy-duty connector straight from its internal 12V brick.]

I packed things up and headed home, but left the inverter connected to keep it charging on the run home.

Which meant that when I powered down, the 12V inside the inverter was still back-powering the outlet
    circuit.

The car started dinging at me, like it does after a single no-brake press of the power button. But without
    the yellow key icon, just the screen with the open driver door diagram and nothing else. A little later,
    the "12V discharge" warning popped up on the center screen. It took me a bit to realize what was
    actually going on, but after pulling the inverter connection everything went back to normal.

I haven't traced the diagrams to see what-all my little box might have been powering in the lee of
    the power-outlet relay, but the result was interesting.

_H*

5. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

It just annoys me that when the door is open, it won't show the odometer on the screen. I could see an actual use case for when the hatch is open and you may want to actually drive it.. like when moving something too long for a short distance!

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Worse yet, it may lock up the drive system if driven with rear hatch open and you stop:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/drive-system-locked-up.8777/
    Work in progress, been really busy so I haven't had time to come up with a mod, there are a couple of switches involved that one could be bypassed located in the hatch area, here is the schematic supplied kindly by @KiwiME:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/12v-battery.5090/page-19#post-132809
    If you happen to come up with a solution, please share, maybe include here;)

7. To remove this ad click here.