Cross Canada - am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Das KONA, Aug 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We're seriously thinking of going across Canada next year when I retire (Vancouver Island to Newfoundland (and back)). We will drive our Class C RV and the Kona (2021 Ultimate) in tandem and then use the Kona to explore areas as we go. I'm comparing this plan with the alternative of towing a different standard transmission car. Not planning to do super long days driving, but pretty sure that will happen occasionally. So far, other than to test how charging stations work, I've only ever charged at home

Any thoughts on the following charging issues - or anything else I'm overlooking?:

- I'm figuring we may be able to charge some at campsites at night, but primarily will rely on charging stations along the way. Looking just at the Plugshare maps online, it looks like if we don't stray overly far from the main roads, we may not have any issues. There seem to be fast chargers reasonably spaced along the way and by my math I can get from 0 to 80% in an hour which will give me up to 400 km (probably less due to highway driving, summer heat, etc.). I can have a one hour nap in the RV and off we go (recognizing I won't ever actually be at 0%).

- If a fast charger isn't available, my loose math says I get about 40km per hour at a Level 2 charger. Since we have our "house" with us, that won't be fatal if we can't get to a destination quickly, but am I about right on that?

- Fast charger prices vary, but is about 30 cents/minute near the top? If an hour gets me from 0 - 80%, that would be around $18 for close to 400 km.

I think we can live with those math assumptions, but this wouldn't be the first time I've totally messed up my math. Also, are there any other big issues to think about (like are 50% of charging stations always down; or there's 3 people ahead of you at every station; or whatever)?

Oh, and I do have the Grizzl-e home charger that is portable. Was thinking of throwing that in, in case it could be plugged into the charging post at a campsite. Anybody tried anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. electriceddy likes this.
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun, and towing a Kona EV behind an RV is probably the best way to go... offering supreme comfort and low cost touring/sightseeing along the way. Lots of campgrounds are listed on PlugShare and shouldn't be a problem AC charging your electric car (at a far cheaper rate than DC charging). Not sure if the Grizzl-e is adjustable to a lower amperage, might come in handy as you probably won't require faster charging anyway, but even if it is not, one can reduce the charging level within the Kona's software and accomplish that same task.
    Of course when you do this trip, we will be anticipating a follow up on your travels:)

mho likes this.
  5. Actually, not towing but one of us driving it. Can’t tow any EV except on a flatbed and I’m not going there. So, more concerned about charging during the day if we do a 600 or 800 km day. Especially on the way back, I could see us trying to make some time.

Aside: I’ve done 1600 km days on my motorcycle and old Westfalia before, but this won’t be one of those types of trips.

And yes, if it comes to pass I’ll report with pictures.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 11.14.07 PM.png
    Could tow with front wheels up?

8. Is that info for the electronic version? Everything I’ve read says no EV can be towed flat or with a dolly.

9. A tow truck towed mine when I had my flat tire escapade. He had me put it in park, but not engage the parking brake. The front wheels were lifted off the ground. Seemed to work fine.

10. Interesting. I’ll re-check what I’ve read. Could be I mixed up all towing with flat towing because early on I ruled out using a tow dolly for various reasons and then just researched flat towing.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Yes, from the Kona electric manuals

must be towed with front wheels off the ground to avoid generating

13. Thanks, I stand corrected.

That said, I don’t want to use a tow dolly for a number of reasons including having to store it at campsites so if towing I’ll use a small ICE standard vehicle. But then I thought it would be nice to use an EV instead. So we’d be driving both vehicles and appreciate any thoughts on my charging questions or other factors I may be overlooking.

14. if you're taking your grizzl-e, for RV campsites
    Should be able to plug into a 50 amp 14-50 plug and charge at full rate;
    If at a site with a TT-30 service, might want to get a TT-30P to nema 14-50 adapter (assuming that's the plug on your charger);
    https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tt-30p-to-nema-14-50r-ev-adapter/

And make sure you know how to adjust the dip switches on the charger to dial it down to 24amps - 30 amp 120v won't charge as fast but better than 15 amp 120v

15. Perfect. Thanks!