Collision Mitigation Test?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by vicw, Aug 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vicw

vicw Active Member

Has anyone had the moxie to actually test out the Collision Mitigation feature on the Clarity? I found several entertaining and informative tests of that capability on YouTube for Subaru vehicles. but none for ours. One of the videos showed successful braking with the car going 20, 30 and 40 mph.

I'm really curious to know what the Clarity would do, approaching a large cardboard simulated pedestrian or vehicle, with the gas pedal held down, but I don't have the open level space to try it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The pilot in this video has the same system as the Clarity. Should work nicely.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  4. Lepori

Lepori Member

I had someone stop suddenly in front of me and it seemed like it turned on. It said brake on the console, made a noise, and started braking I think. I was moving to brake too so not exactly sure. It seemed reassuring anyway.

5. weave

weave Active Member

Darn, I wanted the video guy to do a faster test too. But still impressive.

I set mine to the longest setting just to see when it would do the alert. I got a few false positives but it's pretty smart about lanes and where you are going. For example, on a curve to the right as long as I'm steering a bit to the right, it won't alert for oncoming traffic. But if I'm steering straight approaching a curve and it sees a vehicle in front of me, because at that point my trajectory is right at the vehicle, I got the alert.

So far I haven't witnessed any false alert braking.

6. vicw

vicw Active Member

Thanks. That was reassuring that it actually might work in the real world.

It would have been good to see the behavior at 30 and 40 mph, as one of the Subaru test videos showed, but it was helpful to see what it would do at 25-30 MPH. It also would have been interesting to see it approach a simulated pedestrian, or a big pine tree, but that might have been too scary to watch. Pray none of us ever either of those experiences.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Anyone have a balloon car lying around to test out the Clarity CMBS at 60 mph and post for our viewing pleasure?!? :eek:
    I'll press like on that post for sure!

9. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

The CMBS triggered for the first time today as I drove into a parking spot a bit quicker that I usually do so the Clarity stopped itself 2 ft away from the car in front. Nice !

JJim likes this.
  10. vicw

vicw Active Member

Good to hear. Did you have your foot on the gas pedal, or just coasting when the braking activated?

11. JJim

JJim Active Member

Good to know. What is the speed and how far from that car when the CMBS apply the brake?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I was braking into the parking spot.

14. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I'd guess around 15 km/h and maybe just under a car length away.

JJim likes this.