Charging Reduced after 2.5 years

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Aug 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I don't normally charge to 100% except for the occasional long trip - about 1-2 times per year. This time I only got 278 miles on a 100% Charge. This is 32 miles (about 12%) less than I charged at 2 years ago (310 miles). So I'm assuming that this is what we can expect with battery technology? A slow reduction in battery charge over time?

How many miles are you getting on your 100% Charging?

Cindy B likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The projected range does not describe battery health, if that's your concern. It predicts how far your full charge *might* take you given your driving habits and ambient temperature.

Two years ago, you car had no data on your normal operations.

Now, it knows you Hoon it off every stop light and take corners on two wheels.

Cindy B, Kirk, no-gas and 5 others like this.
  4. I'm promised 500 km (312 m) at 100% during our 'winter' but I haven't hooned in many months. Kona is 4 years old next month, original battery.

5. I'm around 475km in the 25°-30° summer and about 350km in -30° winter. 80% of my driving is 90kmh 10% is 110kmh and the rest is puttering around town. That's 3 1/2 years of data.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. I charge my Kona to 100% all the time on my level to home charger, I usually do it when the battery get to 50%. I made a spreadsheet to keep track of the data and have been for 1.8 years. If you look at the screen shot of my spreadsheet you can see that the number of kilometers or miles varies by time of year and also where I have been driving. The GOM isn't always correct, but my spreadsheet always tells the truth. Screenshot 2022-08-23 155148.jpg

Cindy B, Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Any comparison to the GOM range, when new?

9. The highest I ever got was 505km during my first summer. But that was never repeated. I'm hard pressed to see any range loss over the 3 1/2 years I've owned it.

10. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Mine has done 22K, my last 100% winter charge recently was 510km, I can got 580km last Feb. I putter around mostly on flat road, no highway driving generally. Adelaide climate is pretty mild.

11. Vancouver Island's climate is also mild, but not very flat or stop and go traffic. The GOM usually put me at over 500kms
    Here are the next 19 entries Screenshot 2022-08-23 174401.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. A lot of good info there, thanks for posting. Pretty close to what prospective EV buyers ask me about charging costs. I generally tell them "on average" $0.0125 summer and closer to $0.02 winter per km. Its a thrill to see their faces light up when I inform them:)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  14. I'm at Nelson Vic and with winter temps Between 7 over night and 12 daytime , I'm getting about 350 to 400 on recharge. Must be a big climatic difference between Nelson (Mt Gambier) and Adelaide. I have the Elite Extended.

15. Todays 90% charge at the beach, actually better than 2 years ago:)
    [​IMG]

Ferenc Jakab likes this.
  16. David Thornton

David Thornton New Member

I get 312 miles range at 90% charge this summer after doing mostly short journeys.