Charging rate.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Hutch, Nov 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I have yet to see anything higher then 30kw.

IMG_20221126_144521253_HDR.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I did however get some blue label.

IMG_20221125_165125527.jpg

polyphonic likes this.
  4. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

Based on that pic you started around 60% and from the limited knowledge I have read/seen they will only hit close to 50KW at much lower state of charge.

EDIT: I stand corrected, based on this video it started tapering at ~75%.

Hutch likes this.
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Could be current restricted? I mean if you do 398V x 77.3A that would get you about 30.76kW.

carrrl likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I've gone to DC fast chargers (almost always EA) I've seen as high as 48 kW, and I don't see tapering happen until about 85%. Maybe the DCFC charger you were at isn't able to deliver higher than 30 kW regardless of what it claims.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Probably this. "50kw" charging stations almost never put out 50kw in the real world. Losses and misaligned specs won't allow it.

polyphonic likes this.
  9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's a ChargePoint Express 250 from the UI. The 31.25kW power modules are are capped to 78A with a >95% power conversion efficiency.

Normally the CPE250C comes with 2 power modules so the reason why the second power module is probably the minimum duty cycle (>156A) wasn't met as the MINI caps off at around 125A.

10. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

I’m not a fan of Blue Label but it would look nice in my collection

Attached Files:

SameGuy likes this.
  11. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Noice!

Currently working my way down a Dalwhinnie 2006 Double Matured, though I prefer peaty Islay/Jura profiles to Highlanders.

Hutch likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

IME with faster charging EVs 50 kW stations really peak at 30-40 kW most of the time.

14. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I've only done 3 fast charges, so far. Power ramps up to a max of 49kW, then tapers. Maybe it hit 50 while I wasn't looking. Taper started before 85%. I think it was around 75%. I suspect the exact point will vary with battery temperature.
    I suspect the car limits charge current to about 122A. With a max charge voltage of 4.15x96= 398.4V, that's the 49kW I see.
    The usual way to charge LiIon is constant current up to a certain voltage, then constant voltage. This will produce first a rising, then a falling charge power. It seems Mini does that.

15. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

What is the outside temperature? In the summer I get around 50. Now that it’s cold it usually starts out in the 30’s.

16. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

It was 50 yesterday. I never used to pay attention but that day I was pressed for time. This wknd I will run it down to about 20% and use a different charger and see what I get.

17. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I sometimes think this may not be the best hobby to have. I've started to run out of room.
    IMG_20221129_085522445.jpg

IMG_20221129_085552584.jpg

18. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

More expensive then fuel.

Hutch likes this.
  19. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’ve been on this planet a fairly long time, and I have yet to try a truly high-end Kentucky, but there are so many satisfying products in the middle range — I especially like Blanton’s Original — that I don’t have any problems not shelling out $300 a bottle!

Hutch likes this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hutch and Brawndo like this.
  21. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Have you tried this one yet? It's only about $110 or so.
    Have you tried this? It's about $110 so not to bad.
    IMG_20221129_140208.jpg

I bought this just for the light. My girlfriend thinks I'm insane, which I may be, but it's fun.
    IMG_20221129_140208.jpg IMG_20221129_140637.jpg

IMG_20221129_140221.jpg

22. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

I don't know how I doubled one pic, pain doing this on my cell.

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What? They're putting lights in bottles of booze now? Are the batteries replaceable?