charging error

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ayryq, Jun 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 22 Kona with about 6000 miles on the clock. Grizzl-e "smart" charger at my house.
    Two nights ago, the car didn't charge. My wife didn't notice, got home from work with about 50 miles to "empty."
    Last night, I plugged it in and waited—charging did not start. I removed and reinserted the connector and charging began.
    Woke up this morning to the following message on my phone:
    The car had charged to around 69%, enough for today's errands (max charge is 80% in the Bluelink app). According to the ChargeLab app, I added 30kWh from 8:35PM to 1:42 AM (Note: an hour after the Bluelink message).

Any ideas what I should check?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The app gave you some options for potential causes. Given it's a home charger and you wanted it to charge you can eliminate payment failure and the stop button. That leaves power interruption. Is your local grid twitchy? Any brownouts or blackouts, no matter how brief? The next suspect would be your home service and wiring. Maybe a ground fault?

4. I suppose a brownout was possible, though I didn't have to reset any clocks this morning. I trust the electrician who installed it to have done it right. I wouldn't have posted except for the weirdness earlier in the day and the night before, when it failed to start charging.

5. Ya, it's hard to troubleshoot these things. The reason I asked about the ground fault is that several people in older houses/cottages find that they've had trouble with granny cables tripping and it's been due to ground faults in older systems.

6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

What is the led on the charger showing?

It would be interesting to see what the WiFi signal strength is at the charger, and if changing the channel setting on your router makes any difference since 2.4 Ghz is pretty crowded. You can download an app for your phone that will allow you to see the WiFi signals.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. When I plugged in the cord and it didn't work, I had solid green on the Grizzl-e. Working is flashing green, unplugged is blue. I didn't see the charger in the middle of the night when it gave me the error, nor in the morning when my wife left for work.
    I definitely have an older house (~1830) and my electrician was a little unsatisfied with the old subpanel we were using to supply the Grizzl-e, but everything apparently tested OK.
    I don't know how to read wifi strength from the EVSE directly. I live in the country (so my wifi spectrum is not very crowded), and a wifi antenna (one of eight access points around my house) is mounted on the exterior wall directly above the charger. And, really, an internet failure should not cause a charging failure.
    The "smart" part of the Grizzl-e evse is just not very smart. It shows me almost nothing through the ChargeLab app. There's some folks working on integrating it to Home Assistant, but at the moment it's basically not working, possibly due to non-OCPP-compliant firmware.

9. marshall

10. marshall

You can also try lowering the amperage setting inside of the charger to see if that makes any difference.

11. Sorry, you're right. This is just a go/no-go indicator and I have a consistent blue/cyan alternating (wifi connected) when the EVSE is not in use.

My phone reports a wifi strength of -51dBm standing next to the evse, and my router reports the connection to the EVSE directly at -52dBm.

While looking at the router stats, I note the "uptime" for the Grizzl-E is 17h12m, meaning it rebooted (or at least disconnected from wifi) at exactly the time I got the error.

I charged the car this morning and it started on the first try and charged through to 80%, as expected. So maybe just a fluke power-related fluctuation.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think you're right. Sounds like a little power bump. Hopefully a rare event...fingers crossed. :)