Charging cable not working on EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Dominica81, Nov 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dominica81

Dominica81 Member

Has anybody had their charging cable that was included with the car stop working? Ours stopped working over the weekend. It said there was a communication problem. Was able to charge the car at a station luckily. Dealership wants us to bring it in for inspection (almost 2 hours away ugh).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

The only problem I've had with the charger that came with the car is that it trips the GFCI socket in the garage. Doesn't sound like that's your problem if it's reporting an error.

4. I have an aftermarket charger, but I did encounter the safety interlock switch going out of adjustment.

It turns out that the "lock button" on the handle activates a microswitch inside, and the button was not popping fully "up" when plugged in, which in turn made the microswitch not conduct, so it never "told" the car the cable was engaged.

A slight adjustment and fixed. The handle was easy to unscrew and look inside, very simple.

Greg

5. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Yes, that happened to me. Still didn’t get the replacement. Have a level 2 charger installed which is working great. Dealership was charging my car while giving me an jce loaner. Really love driving my electric instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs