Charging Cable Aust.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Electric Rich, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, I'm probably one of the few on here that havent yet used charging stations apart from the one i have at home. Before we start to travel I need to buy a cable for charging on the road. Thus my question.
    If I want charge my Kona using a fast charger, will I need my own cable? I know it needs to be type two but are there different rated cables that are type two? EG some of them say 7kw, so does that mean that cant be used on a fast charger at full power?
    Happy to get schooled on this one.
    Also, does the cable to need to be male one end, female the other?

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did you not get a granny cable with your car? We get one in Canada.
    If you're talking about using public chargers, level 2 or 3, then the cable is on the charger itself. You don't need any cable at all.

4. Well, if "fast charger" means DC (25kW and higher) and it usually does, you don't need anything. The cable is always tethered to the charger. But you may need an account with the provider.

If you're planning on using a public AC station some have a tethered cable and some have a Type 2 socket for a bring-your-own cable. The Auto button on the dash locks your cable in place (when not lit up) so it doesn't get nicked.

In many global markets the Kona was supplied with an AC cable, Type 2 to Type 2 in our case. Not sure about Aus but most were here in NZ.

Mine wasn't supplied so I whined to the dealer. They resisted so I bought one myself and then a few weeks later they coughed one up so now I have two. And I hardly ever use either of them but it's a must-have, IMO.

I was visiting my sister in Sydney a few years back and we visited the NMRA site at Olympic Park to try out a DC charger on her i3, first time for both of us.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Wildeyed likes this.
  5. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks, so an AC station will only ever put out 7kw max, to match the cable rating I often see?

6. The cable is part of the charger just like the hose is part of the gas pump. You do not need to buy a cable.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wildeyed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If it's an untethered charger your cable should be rated for 32 amps single phase to fully exploit any public AC charger. You won't get more than 7.4 kW if it has an equal or higher capacity. Most public chargers here in NZ are rated at 22 kW or 43 kW because they are 3-phase but there is only one EV that can fully exploit either, the Renault Zoe.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  9. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks all.

10. Are there really charging stations meant for public use that don't have cables?! Man, talk about being user-unfriendly!

11. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Australian Govt is quite unfriendly when it comes to EVs. GRRR.
    Kiwi, just found a 22kw type 2 cable. I'm going to assume that will allow 22kw of power transfer if the station produces it? Or will the Kona only allow 7kw if its AC power?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I'd have to say most here don't. It's mostly a matter of paying for maintenance. There was a tethered one near my home (43 kW) as a third cable on a DC charger but the plug got damaged and the owner decided to remove it and blank it off. I protested but was told I was their only customer for that cable, lol. Most of their other DC changers have a Type 2 socket on the front panel, intended for Renault Zoe's because they don't have DC charging capability and there are quite a few on the road here.
    Mostly AC chargers are found at motels these days, all will be untethered.

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. It's going to be a 3-phase cable with 16 amps per phase. Frankly, you should not buy that one. You want a 32 amp single phase cable, which will be slightly less expensive.
    I did check and I'm nearly 100% certain that Aussie Konas don't have 3-phase chargers. You'd probably know if you did. If you pull off the plastic motor cover and snap a pic of the label on top I can confirm that for you.

15. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Dont buy it because it wont work, or because its overkill without benefit?

16. Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  17. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks Kiwi.

KiwiME likes this.
  18. I have a 2021 Aussi Kona Highlander EV and can confirm it has a single phase 7kw on board AC charger.

KiwiME likes this.