ChargeX Consortium Recommendations for Minimum Required Error Codes

Discussion in 'General' started by andyG59, Nov 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I checked the ChargeX website https://inl.gov/chargex/ a couple of days ago and found their first working group products. While they are definitely Nerd Level 9000, I have not seen or heard any discussion on this and thought I this might be of interest to some, and perhaps spark discussion in this group:

Recommendations for Minimum Required Error Codes for Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure - SEPTEMBER 2023
    Working Group 3: Solutions for Scaling Reliability Diagnostics Taskforce
    https://inl.gov/content/uploads/2023/07/ChargeX_MREC_Rev5_09.12.23.pdf

I learned a lot reading this. I like how the 34 listed contributors (presuming at least some of the individuals are EV drivers that use public charging) represent multiple automakers, equipment manufacturers, charge station operators, and other stakeholders. I found interesting that the recommendations include responsibility classification in Table 2 (though 22 of 26 error codes are shared) between the EV user (5 codes), CSO (acronym defined as Charging Station Operator) (5 codes), EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) (23 codes), and the EV (16 codes).

The only specific message I recall seeing on a dispenser screen are a timeout which I presume is similar to the 'AuthorizationTimeout', and other than that something like car fault/error. Similarly my Mach E only shows 'ChargeStationFault'. Apparently that could be 23 different things just relating to the CSO and/or EVSE. I feel like both the CSO's and the EV's could do a better job of communicating what the problem specifically is. While through experience I have learned to guess at what some of the errors might be, for example, when an Electrify America dispenser is delivering 40 kW and that is well below what I get at that point on the typical charging curve, that it might be a failed cable cooling sensor. If I were informed there was a cable problem relating to the error code 'CableOverTempDerate', I would know to select another cable or dispenser if I needed to charge faster.

Also interesting to me is that 22 of 26 error codes in the recommended functional classifications in Table 3 have a check mark under Safety. Again most of the codes have more than one classification, while 3 are related to Security, 6 to Maintenance, and 3 to Authorization. None are classified as financial, though if there is 'NoInternet' my understanding is that some networks will not authorize a session. Also the scope indicates "Other errors, such as communication failures, or internet connection failures that cannot be conveyed over OCPP in real time, will be addressed in future work.". Apparently there is more to come from this working group.

From the same working group and also dated September 2023 an Implementation Guide for Minimum Required Error Codes for Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
    https://inl.gov/content/uploads/2023/07/ChargeX_ImplementationGuide_09.29.23.pdf

This one was even nerdier and I had to attempt to recall my 20th century knowledge of computer programming to follow it. What I did find interesting is that Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) 1.6J "is a commonly implemented version' and only lists the first 7 of the 26 recommended error codes and indicates all 26 recommended error codes can be reported in OCPP 2.0.1.

2. To remove this ad click here.