Charge Port Door Closing on Cable

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by ScubaSteve, Jul 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi,

Anyone having this issue of the charge port door closing down on the cable when it should remain open? I reported it to Hyundai, thought it was resolved but ... nope.

During charging, the charge port door is supposed to remain open. About 1 - 2 hours of L2 AC charging the door closes down onto the cable. This happens whether the software is set "to lock cable during charging" or "lock cable all the time." The door won't electronically release and I must manually pull it back up. This can't be good for the charge port door motor in the long run. It seems like the EV thinks the cable doesn't exist and closes the door.

I usually place the car in storage for winter, with it constantly plugged in. Of course, Hyundai have never heard of this problem and had no suggestions. I have the latest software, have reset it many times. When it happens again, I'll pull the 12V battery connections to reset the entire system.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is it known if the I5 (plugged in or not plugged in) will keep the 12-Volt battery charged even if the I5 isn't started for a long time? Or would you need to use a trickle-charger to maintain the charge in the 12-Volt battery of an I5 in long-term storage?

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi Insightman, with my old 2021 Kona EV, the 12V battery didn't have a problem even after 5 months of storage. It would start up no issue. But, that's the purpose of plugging in the L2 AC connection is to make sure, if the main battery drops (mainly due to charging the 12V battery) it just recharges to whatever SoC you set.

Ironically, I just finished doing an AC L2 charge on the Ioniq 5, and, the charge port door ... stayed open (which it's supposed to do). Maybe the next software update will make this better.

Cheers,
    Steve

insightman likes this.
  5. FlatbreadIsWrong

FlatbreadIsWrong New Member

I decided to update to the latest software the week I'm going to drive the car 800 miles and now my car stops charging randomly and closes the little door. I'm going to be so upset if I get stranded.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I'd guess that you'd be using L3 DCFC instead of L2 AC charging for your trip, in which case, it should be fine. Ironically, since I posted this question, I've AC charged a few times without the door closing. Edit: next time you're at your Hyundai dealer, report the issue. At least, Hyundai will know this needs to be fixed as part of one of their main updates.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Still have this problem with the door closing and have to force it open manually. :(

9. bje

bje New Member

I think I have the answer. The charging door closes 30 seconds or so after charging fails for some reason (for example, due to an overheated AC charging inlet). Did you notice that when your charging door closed that the charging didn't reach the state of charge you were expecting?

10. Shelley Hunter

Shelley Hunter New Member

The charging door has closed twice on my charging cable when I have scheduled it to charge between midnight and 5 am. This has just started. The other few times I had charged it didn’t happen. It stops my charging and when I get up to go to work I’m not fully charged. Any ideas?

11. bje

bje New Member

My guess is that your charging port is overheating. If you're in the US and 110V, are you charging at 32A or more? My suggestion would be to charge during the day when you can observe it and check the temperature of the charging cable handle every 15 minutes or so. If it's the problem I experienced, the cable will be very, very warm (still not what you would describe as 'hot'). That'll be the clue to start looking into it more deeply using Carscanner and an OBD2 dongle to watch the AC charging port temperature.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

No, my L2 charger did a max of 32 A, not capable of going above. It's been traded in for a 2024 Tucson hybrid. No more EVs for me.