CarGurus Study Finds Dogs Are More Relaxed in Electric Cars

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

https://www.cargurus.com/press/dogs_and_evs_study.html

Seriously, Cargurus sponsored it and some academic actually did the research and I am sure it will be published in an peer reviewed scientific journal. It has some merit to the research, though the conclusions are what I would have expected anyway.

They compared diesel cars vs EV's and yes I would expect more vibration, gas fumes etc make dogs more uncomfortable in ICE. So the conclusions are not startling though there is some advice for dog owners in the article

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Using Tesla ‘summon’, our dog jumps on the driver seat looking for me … to the delight of by-standers. We’ve only had two cases of people running to the car to save the dogs.

Bob Wilson

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This is not a foregone conclusion, actually. Many EVs’ inverters give off a high pitched whine. That could be very irritating to a dog. I’m glad they found otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. bwilson4web

The inverter whine does a better job than calling their names.

Bob Wilson

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm sure internal combustion engines make all kinds of high-frequency noises we have no idea about, due to all of the other noises. Not to mention the vibrations and odors. I'm amazed dogs learn to cope with the sensory overloads associated with humans.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, I do know dogs really don't like airplane noise. We have noise cancelling headsets for our Pomsky, and that did the trick for him. Airplanes actually have a loud low frequency sound, esp the propeller which is what you hear mostly when you see a small plane taking off.
    https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/got-dogs.545/page-17#post-2137976
    He loves going in the car though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  9. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer New Member

I find my dog (Cookie) better settled, more calm, way less anxious and whining in my EV than my wife's car. I love this for my dog!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2022
    DJP likes this.
  10. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

My little Pomeranian doesn’t like any car so it’s hard to tell. Poor thing gets sick every time so we have to give her meds to settle her stomach. I wonder if it’s just because she is so tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. bwilson4web

My wife's 'escaped' Rottweiler threw up just as I pulled onto the driveway. Fortunately, she mostly hit the doggie blanket and I only had to hose out one seat.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Time for seat-covers?