Can’t turn on climate while charging; battery too low.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by turtleturtle, Feb 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

First time I noticed this. Cold outside. Car is out of battery. Plug in to 240 and assumed I could start climate while parked to read a book while family is shopping. But apparently that only works if there is some residual charge? IMG_0223.JPG

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. From the manual. Did climate control begin functioning after a few minutes of charging? B679E6A2-4016-4636-9280-4FB0EA9BC32A.jpeg

4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Only started once battery hit 25%.

I know you can’t charge and do climate on 120; though it would always work if connected to 240.

5. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

When I first got Clarity, I was totally enamored with the climate control functions. I would be out for a hike or wherever, and would sort of arbitrarily poke the climate button. In some cases I was outside the temperature range allowed, but say Oregon in the winter time it's kind of easy to find below 50 degrees. The valley doesn't get super cold like some places but say daytime 43F is common.

Anyway, I'd come back to a warm car in some cases and that trilled me, mainly because I never had a car that could do that.

During the time when I was doing this frequently I sometimes did it with low EV charge, say like 30% showing. In all the time I did it, never once did the gas engine turn on. no matter how low my EV charge got. The function might stop due to lack of EV, but it didn't start the gas engine ever.

So my theory is the Honda engineers figured some people will use this in a garage (enclosed space) where it would not be safe to start gas engine. Further, they only permit you to do so if you have enough charge remaining to at least begin the process. Clarity likes to keep a minimum 10% buffer. Notice that your screen shot shows 9%. My theory is that you likely would be able to do this if you had say 11% when you start it, and that upon hitting 10% it would turn off automatically even if it didn't finish the cycle. i.e. it is designed to run for 30 minutes when it does.

But yeah, if I go stay somewhere in the winter time at the oregon coast and want to pre-warm my vehicle I use it each morning. What a treat. This also means I end up hitting HV Charge when away from home so I can have enough EV % to use it. So I basically always operate trying to save as much EV % as possible unless I know my destination will be a place I can charge (i.e. headed home).

Also- say 9% like you had is where my Clarity quits showing EV bars (that's zero bar on the display charge level). I try not allow that case to occur (using HV charge) to avoid it. YMMV. Best, Dan

6. It is interesting that Climate Control would not start until SOC reached 25%. The L2 charge rate, in my experience, exceeds the discharge rate that is applied when using the most demanding CC settings. Charging is going to win the race.

It is mentioned in the manual that CC will be powered by the HV battery if the charge cable is removed. Can the car not charge and operate CC at the same time? Or does it just prioritize charging until SOC reaches 25%.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Operating Climate Control via the Remote/Key fob, can only occur if the Power mode is set to OFF. That condition would prevent the engine from starting.

Dan Albrich likes this.