Camping trip with kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Jun 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

We did our first camping trip with the Kona.

We used the roof cross bars plus a roof basket and a roof bag to carry stuff.

With this much on top of the car killing the aerodynamics and traveling mostly on highway with speeds between 70 to 100 km/h and some AC use the average drain was 20 kwh per hundred km.

One interesting thing was that i left with 100% on the battery and after 122km stopped for a quick charge when the battery showed 65% left and average consumption 19.3 kwh per hundred km.

35% for 122 km means full range 350km.

At an average of 19.3 kwh that means 67kwh total battery capacity.

On the way back i was mostly traveling 100 to 110 km/h and using AC all the time the consumption was more line 24 kwh per hundred km.

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PGKona

PGKona New Member

Thanks for sharing we are planning our vacation in August from Prince George (B.C.) through the Kootenays and back with our Kona and a Thule roof pod. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. That 25-30% range reduction seems normal especially at hwy speeds with a loaded roof rack. Did you use utility mode when camping or just shut off the car?

5. victor_2019

We mostly just shut it off.
    We played some music for an hour or so but that's about it.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. How much weight was on the roof rack?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

I don't actually know.

We didn't put very heavy stuff but altogether it was probably around 70-80 kg including that metal roof basket

I'm not actually sure what the load rating is for the Hyundai branded cross bars.

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.