Buying from out of state?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by InArizona, Oct 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. InArizona

InArizona New Member

I am in Northern Arizona and am looking to buy a 2021 Kona EV from California (or any other Western state that sells them.) Off hand, the True Car experience is not good since dealers end up adding dealer installed options to bring the price back up.

So I am asking others who own an K-EV in a non EV state. Do you have to go to an EV state ever for service?
    I talked to the service department here at my location and they claim they can service an EV except for battery replacement. I am trying to find out if there any dealers in Arizona that are truly equipped to service Kona EV's. I wrote Hyundai to find out this information but haven't received a reply yet.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I don't think Hyundai is selling any current Kona EVs due to the pending recall.

Did you know that Kona EVs are currently recalled for possible battery fires?

Especially if you are buying a Kona EV in a non-EV state, you are going to have problem finding technicians who will repair your vehicle if anything happens. I read about gearboxes going bad, later BMS updates you might need to do....I really don't think now is a good time to buy a Kona EV. I bought 2 years ago, and I am still waiting what is up with the BMS recall in December.

4. Ask on Facebook group Hyundai Kona Electric (EV), several owners there have done this.

5. That is not entirely true the moratorium of Kona EV sales only affects in stock 2019 and 2020 models produced prior to the March 2020 recall date. It would not include 2020 an 2021 models produced after March. It would appear Hyundai already made a production change that presumably mitigated the battery fire risk.

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm in Florida and bought my 2019 Kona Electric in Maryland which is the closest state to Florida that had Kona Electrics.. My local Hyundai dealer in Florida has a technician trained on the all electric models, so I can get any work done on mine locally.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I believe the 2021odels are being sold at the moment.

9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

If I look on Autotrader, it shows several new 2020 Kona Electric for sale.

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

You will want to call to confirm they are being sold, with the recall, my understanding is a stop sell was placed on 2019 and 2020 models.

11. InArizona

InArizona New Member

I wonder if the battery issues has been fixed for the 2021 models or will they be immediately on the recall list.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

They are not on the recall list by all reports and are still being sold.

14. InArizona

InArizona New Member

Just for fun, I went to the Hyundai recall site and put in a VIN for a 2021 and verified what you said. My cynical nature says that's because there hasn't been enough of them sold yet to catch on fire. ;)

15. cmyoung72

cmyoung72 New Member

Bought our 2019 Ultimate from a Maryland dealership. It was the closest to where I am in North Carolina. Local Hyundai dealership here in NC can do everything except work on the high voltage system. I’m trying to talk them into getting one of their technicians trained to work on the EV system, but no luck yet. To date, I’ve had them so the initial tire rotation at 5,000 miles and they also did the initial BMS update earlier this year.

I’m the same as BlueKona in that I’m waiting to see what the latest BMS update does to range and charging speeds before having the dealer do the update for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

InArizona likes this.
  16. InArizona

InArizona New Member

Thank you.