Brake inspection

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hobbit, Jul 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Rather than piggyback onto an old thread, I'll start a new one, since it has little to do with klunking. But
    the diagnostic process would be similar. This is simply about taking brake calipers apart, and why it's good
    to do once in a while.

. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/brkcheck/

It was prompted by hearing fairly persistent soft scraping sounds from the rear when starting a drive.
    At some point I'll update it with the fronts.

_H*

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have the brake scrubbing noises quite often. I clean the brakes occasionally using the "brake in neutral" trick and it seems to clean things up for a bit. I am not a DIY person but I do pay to have my garage service and lubricate the brakes once a year during the winter tire swap. I'm hoping that keeps things limber. I had a seized caliper once in an old ICE car and it caused hundreds$$$ in repairs. I was really hoping that an EV would mean zero maintenance but given the unavoidable reality of rust and salt I have resigned myself to having to bite the bullet for SOME maintenance costs. Although I'm still hopeful that I'll avoid needing to pay for pads and rotors for years. *fingers crossed* ;)