BMW i3 bids goodbye to the U.S. market this July 2021

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jun 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Weirdly incorrect mileage range reference on the SE. They will probably correct it at some point.

"If you’re still longing for the BMW i3’s peppy performance, you’ll find a similar electric powertrain in the Mini Cooper SE. Like the BMW i3, the Cooper SE has a single electric motor churning out 181 horsepower and up to 199 pound-feet of twist. It also has a T-shaped 32.6 kWh battery under the floor to deliver 146 miles of range (168 miles for the Cooper SE long-range version)."

https://www.slashgear.com/bmw-i3-bids-goodbye-to-the-u-s-market-this-july-2021-29680342/

Lainey and endquote like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I've always liked the look of the i3, to me it was very "European" looking, I also liked the suicide doors for entering the rear.

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I was just talking about "foot-pound" (energy) versus "pound-foot" (torque) with someone, and how "pound-foot" isn't really used. And there it is in print!

(We were commiserating about US customary units versus the metric world.)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

I always thought the i3 was atrocious (personal taste), but had no idea bout the suicide door. Now I kind of like it. I love the suicide half-door in my 2014 MINI Clubman.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  6. J.Dubs

J.Dubs Member

I'll take a Cooper SE long range edition

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I love the i3, but it is way too expensive. I looked at used 2017+ models when shopping for the SE.
    The i3 won on style, practicality, and interior. The SE won on repairability, warranty, and driving experience. The micro tires on the i3 gave me some misgivings about 75+ highway travel.

Still, I would love to pick up a used i3 in the future. :)

scooter, Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I looked into the i3 as well. It was a very strong contender. It was a bit costly by comparison though. The Mini is more my style though.

A 4 dr version like a Clubman please. That would totally be our next EV.

Newkirk, GvilleGuy and polyphonic like this.
  10. My hubs would agree with you, he thought the car was ugly ugly ugly. There's a saddle for every butt.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It must be very heavy.

J.Dubs and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Google says the range extender for the i3 adds 264 lbs.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Sad the i3 will be gone, was hoping they have replacement model

Dan

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. Puppethead

I'd argue the SE is the replacement. BMW has the other EV models that fit in better with their product line.

GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I will pass. I don't want the extra cost or weight to lessen all of the fun I have been having!

I am turned off by how high the i3 sits. I really wanted something lower and more planted. I actually cross-shopped the eGolfs, particularly the newer version with >100 mile range and DCFC. Amazingly those cars really hold their value. I couldn't find one for less than what a brand-new Mini costs (after incentives)!

insightman likes this.
  17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I hear that. Coming from an F56, I really appreciated the feel and drive of Minis vs the i3.

I wasn't able to even locate an eGolf used to try. Though I did look.

18. GetOffYourGas

I've only test driven an eGolf once, and it was the older model back in 2016. It really is a well made car, and drives like a Golf should. Which is to say composed and responsive.

That model had 83 miles of range, and an 85kW motor. Then in 2018, they upgraded to 125 miles of range and a 100kW motor. It's the latter I wanted. But it cost more than a brand new 2021 SE with 110 miles of range (close enough) and 135kW motor (woot!). Not to mention the SE is a 2-door with a sunroof, both things I prefer.

Lainey, Carsten Haase and GvilleGuy like this.
  19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Car & Driver: "The e-Golf feels zippy but in our testing it delivered a zero-to-60-mph time of 8.5 seconds" I frequently lord my SE's quicker acceleration over my friend with an e-Golf. Then he points out his GOM tells him he can go 140 miles on a charge. Then I...

Lainey, GvilleGuy and MichaelC like this.
  20. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I was willing to look. The Nissan Leaf I drove does 0-60 in the 7 range IIRC. Still the SE is a vast improvement!

21. GetOffYourGas

Yup, there is no question that the SE is quicker. Although acceleration is less important to me than handling. But again, the SE wins there too. The eGolf rates pretty high in handling amongst its contemporary EVs. I was really looking at it thinking I could save thousands of dollars buying a 3-year-old car versus buying brand new, but nope!

MichaelC likes this.
  22. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

My sister in law did have an eGolf. The biggest issue she said she had over real range anxiety (she had one that was closer to only 70 miles) was the highway acceleration. Getting on the ramp at times and also 50 to 70 acceleration. When her eGolf lease was up, she did not go for another, but the Bolt instead. I wanted to see myself about the eGolf but came up empty. While 0-60 isn't #1, power when needed is important.

insightman, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.