BMW build iconic SE as two seater / double a range

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, May 8, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Put batteries in behind a sits as 2persons car a rear seats in Mini are useless do a survey if people will buy I’m the first buying from 32.64 KwH to 65 KWh as new design as a two seater

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The return of the MINI-E!
    upload_2024-5-8_19-0-32.png
    upload_2024-5-8_19-0-58.png

MichaelC and Rexsio like this.
  4. teddybare

teddybare Member

id buy it..

5. Frank57

Frank57 New Member

And how much extra weight are you carrying all the time, the current SE is already 300 lbs more than the ICE version,

the new Mini EV with 54 kwh battery, dedicated ev platform, is over 400lbs heavier than the out going 32kwh model.

insightman and revorg like this.
  6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

How can we be sure German SEs weigh the same as US SEs? I tried weighing my US-spec SE at a truck-stop, but I don't know how accurate the CAT scales are.

I believe I got out of the car and off the scale before the operator pushed the weigh button, so the actual weight it registered was the "gross" of 3,100 lbs. I also believe their scales round up to the next 100 lbs, to give truckers a small margin of safety for when they get weighed later at an official state weigh-station.

upload_2024-5-13_23-44-30.png

PS. In 2000, I tried the same scale with my (reported) 1,850-lb Honda Insight. The scale operator told me I needed to pull all 4 wheels onto the scale (even though I already had). He wasn't used to weighing such lightweight vehicles. I don't remember how much it registered 25 years ago.

9. CuriousGeorge

I had not considered that, but presumably any additional safety requirements leading to additional weight would apply equally to the EV and ICE versions?

insightman likes this.
  10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Also isn't there a significant weight increase with the moonroof, like 30 pounds or more?

11. MacMini34

MacMini34 New Member

I have used my rear seats to house people on a few occasions and they've been fine - mind you only one >6 footer in the family and wife is 5'2. One instance was my foray to Portsmouth, NH, about 80min or so of driving. So I don't want to lose the rear seats.

What I want to see is improved denser battery tech. Over at Jalopnik Mr Golson gushes at the highly affordable electric Mercedes Benz G-wagon coming soon. But there's mention in the rather long article about "silicon anode" batteries with a 40% boost in density. That means we could get almost 41kW useable in our cherished SEs. Maybe other tech will improve on this too. I just have to start saving now because I'm not expecting a new battery to be inexpensive.

Which brings up the question. How many F56 SEs did MINI build and sell worldwide? What is the market for a new improved battery and who might make one?

cheers
    MacMini34

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

When you start seeing better replacement batteries for EVs sold in greater numbers than the MINI, you can start hoping the replacement battery vendors will take note of the F56 MINI Cooper SE. Being the most agile EV on the market, it is the EV that would benefit the most from a high-density battery that would either a) extend the range or b) reduce the weight of (choose b for maximum fun--you're already used to the SE's paltry range).

I'm sure the MINI Electric by itself won't make a sufficient business case for the development of a higher-tech replacement battery, so other EVs will have to come first. Also, the highest-tech batteries will always be the most expensive. How much would F56 MINI SE owners be willing to pay for 200-mile range or to drop 200 pounds?

14. CuriousGeorge

Not a lot, at least in the big scheme of things.

Niche brand, only a 5 year model run (2020-2024 here in the US), and although the SE rose to become MINI's biggest seller, it was only one of multiple offerings.

ETA: 34,851 in 2021:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0364395EN/sales-figures-for-the-mini-electric-almost-doubled-mini-brand-sales-up-3-3-percent-in-2021?language=en

The above article also states that is a 98.2% increase over 2020, which means that 17,584 were sold the first year.

However, overall MINI sales flattened out after that year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/267245/worldwide-sales-volume-of-mini-automobiles-since-2006/

So, while the SE has been popular, I'm guessing maybe 200,000 total units worldwide over 5 years?

By comparison, Ford sold approximately 750,000 F-150s in 2023 alone...

Last edited: May 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM
  15. MacMini34

MacMini34 New Member

Maybe we should band together and form a company :). Any electrical engineers out there?

However, based on reports on this forum, it seems battery degradation isn't happening at any great rate so we may not be looking at a potential market for 6-8 years or more.

I read somewhere that EV battery production cost was about $130/kWhr so a 45kWhr battery could cost ~$6k, but what would the markup be?

Hyundai seemed to go overboard on markup offering replacement batteries for damaged units on Ioniq 5s at over the cost of the original vehicle. Great way to send the insurance cost soaring Hyundai (still, wouldn't mind the N version).

The F150 numbers are even more amazing given the market is mostly Nth America, and I don't understand why Ford isn't rolling in money on the back of those sales.

cheers
    MacMini34

ghost likes this.
  16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

200k SEs is an impressive number for a niche car

17. CuriousGeorge

Enough to warrant someone to produce new batteries, though?

Keep in mind that is 200k globally. Thus, given the high cost of shipping these days whomever went into this business would presumably need to set up production in numerous locations.

Only way I can see foresee this working is if a company made replacement batteries for numerous EV models.

insightman likes this.