Bluelink Remote start - second time's a charm

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nigels, Feb 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nigels

nigels Active Member

Is anyone else seeing this behavior in U.S. market Konas?

With the latest MyHyundai iOS app, using Remote Start to pre-heat the car doesn't seem to work...at least not the first time. This has happened to me the past 5 times I've tried it. I go out to a cold car even though the app claims that the command was successful.

Today, I was clearing snow off the car and thought I'd use Remote Start to help with de-icing. I used the app to select the "Winter" pre-set. About a minute later, I heard a solenoid click, and the LED on the front light up orange, then nothing. No fan activity, no lights on the dashboard (the car was locked). So, I re-issued the Remote Start and this time I heard the solenoid click again, the LED turn orange, and the fan start running. The car then pre-heated and defrosted.

In previous versions of the app, the request would fail almost every time. I assumed this was a cellular communication issue with the car, but in this version it looks like the command is reaching the car, but the car is ignoring the request.

Is this a known problem? Any idea how to report this to Hyundai? I'm not convinced, based on others' experiences, that calling their support people will be productive.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I used to have this issue like you - every time I tried to pre-heat (in my Garage). What worked for ME was to issue a "DOORS LOCK" first, wait for "Successful", then issue the "Remote Start / Heat" ... It has worked like this every time for me. Good Luck .. YMMV

nigels likes this.
  4. There is a new update available 00D111 VCU LDC. I suspect the VCU portion is to deal with this issue:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/yet-another-recall-00d111-vculdc.10404/
    Post #3 links to a telematics issue resolution. For myself, I will take it in eventually for the update, although I will at this time only benefit from the LDC portion.
    Personally I don't have (never signed up for it) the Bluelink app or telematics enabled, but the option is there and can be enabled any time for a 3 year free subscription during my ownership of the vehicle if I choose.

mho likes this.
  5. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

Same problem here. However, I had the 199 recall done on monday and whatever else they updated. Out of curiosity I just tried it twice and it worked both times.

nigels likes this.
  6. nigels

nigels Active Member

Thanks for the tip! That will save a lot of frustration.

Tim94549 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. nigels

nigels Active Member

That's very encouraging news. Such a shame Hyundai can't do OTA updates. Visiting the dealer for software updates seems so last century

Ronny likes this.